Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create an FTP Share?

Well foks, after much tribulation migrating from SL server to Lion Server I finally got ftp working (via terminal) using the instructions from this KB (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4704).

The problem with this is, connecting to the server via FTP only shows my local administrative user account on the server. We have a Xerox WorkCenter (printer, scanner, etc) that we use for scanning documents to the server over the network.

The share I used in Snow Leopard Server and now Lion Server is on a volume connected to the server. I can't figure out how to get a volume or any folder outside of my user account to be available via ftp. The support documents didn't detail that. My current workaround is I created a folder in my user account on the server, pointed the Xerox WorkCenter to that folder, and attached a folder action to that folder which automatically moves the network scanned docs to the afp share on the connected volume that everyone was used to using and had guest access too. Kind of messy, but it works. I still rather have a direct ftp connection a share, but can't figure out that one.

Need some help (because the SMB feature in our Xerox is not working with Lion Server)

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 9:56 AM

There are no replies.

How do I create an FTP Share?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.