Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delivery Codec for 1080p Stereo Interlaced QT

This is a very specific question, but hopefully we have a compressionist around here on the forum.

My wording may be a bit clunky, but I will try to be as clear as possible.

I need to create a 1080p Quicktime in a delivery codec that will not sample information vertically.

I have Left and Right eye stereo DPX sequences compressed to 1080p H.264 with the stereo eyes interlaced ine by line.

So, each pixel of vertical resolution alternates Left eye, Right eye, Left eye...

My problem with these H.264 Quicktimes I've been making is that chroma is sampling vertically,

bleeding certain colors of the two stereo images together, causing 3D "ghosting" when viewed.

Can I constrain H.264 to only sample on the X axis?

Is there a reasonably universal delivery codec in existence that will do this?

Mac Pro 2x2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 8GB Ram, 200GB OS Drive, 1TB RAID, FCS3

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 12:52 PM

I've always delivered stereo files as either individual quicktimes for each stream or as side by side quicktimes either full double width or squeezed horizontally to regular HD dimensions. What system are you deliverying these for? Creative Cow has a 3D stereo forum that might be helpful and you could also do some investigation at cineform's or dashwood's websites.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2011 12:52 PM in response to Wherrito

I've always delivered stereo files as either individual quicktimes for each stream or as side by side quicktimes either full double width or squeezed horizontally to regular HD dimensions. What system are you deliverying these for? Creative Cow has a 3D stereo forum that might be helpful and you could also do some investigation at cineform's or dashwood's websites.

Sep 29, 2011 1:43 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Thanks Mike,

The files are going to be played on a few, fairly new, (but not new enough to have BluRay, or this little excersise would be moot) dual core PCs going to 1080p plasma screens with passive stereo interlacing.

The people loading it are in several different countries and most have little to no A/V experience, so I kind of have to idiot proof as much as I can, so I rendered to the native display resolution, using the same 3D stereo scheme so all these folks have to do is open the file and hit ctrl+f.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have poked around the white sheets for some of cineform's tools and have not found much that our current toolset does not already do, which is why I am skewing my question more toward compression specifics.

Trying to create a 3D deliverable that will play back on any system and is not BluRay is like looking for a magical unicorn.

Perhaps I will take your advice and ask the cow.

Sep 30, 2011 9:15 AM in response to Wherrito

ya got me laughing. Just the other day I had to capture some material thru my sony dsr-11 and something that can only be accessed thru the menu had gotten reset. Found the remote and of course there was a corroded battery. Luckily was able to clean the contacts.

I've been doing 3D projects for what's gotta be at least 5 years and I feel like I'm always having to develop new workflows. If you find a solution, please post back.

Delivery Codec for 1080p Stereo Interlaced QT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.