Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt connector lifetime

What is the approximate number of insertions and removals for the Thunderbolt connector before it becomes intermittent?

I use a dual screen sometimes to run another OS on a separate monitor under VM Fusion. I find that the CPU runs much hotter (64 degrees vs. 42 degrees) when the second monitor is plugged into the Thunderbolt port, so I may connect/disconnect the monitor multiple times per day. Just wonrdering if this will wear out the connector in no time or if it will last for many thousands of insertions. Also wondering whether my concern is unfounded and the CPU at 64 degrees is jjust fine.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 12:46 PM

4 replies

Sep 11, 2014 7:06 AM in response to williamfromglenview

I know this post was from a while ago, but I am also wondering the same thing. I have a second monitory connected via Thunderbolt on my 13" Macbook Pro Retina and remove the second display cable multiple times daily. There are two Thunderbolt ports, so I try to stick to using the same one for the external monitor in the event it is causing long-term damage to it.

Have there been an reported issues with this practice? Or, are there better methods of making sure the port isn't worn out.

Sep 2, 2015 8:21 AM in response to williamfromglenview

I work at a school and we have a teacher that uses a Smart Board and projector. She is connecting and disconnecting the display port adapter throughout the day. She did this all last year. Now at the start of a new school year the connection to the display port is loose. I never thought about that port wearing out, but I guess it does happen. Now I have to figure out what we can do to keep the computer from loosing connection to her projector.

Sep 29, 2011 12:52 PM in response to williamfromglenview

What is the approximate number of insertions and removals for the Thunderbolt connector before it becomes intermittent?

I doubt that anyone knows yet. They're too new.

I use a dual screen sometimes to run another OS on a separate monitor under VM Fusion. I find that the CPU runs much hotter (64 degrees vs. 42 degrees) when the second monitor is plugged into the Thunderbolt port, so I may connect/disconnect the monitor multiple times per day. Just wonrdering if this will wear out the connector in no time or if it will last for many thousands of insertions. Also wondering whether my concern is unfounded and the CPU at 64 degrees is jjust fine.

The CPU at 64 degrees (°C, I presume) is fine. It's fine up to about 100°C, though Apple hasn't published specific figures. Your machine will shut itself down for its own protection before it overheats.

thunderbolt connector lifetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.