Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal Hangs During SSH

I recently set up an OS X Server for the first time on an Xserve. My previous experience is with linux.

Since I've set up the server, when ssh'ing to the server, my terminal session is constantly hanging. It happens every few minutes. Maybe related is that the WGM app hangs too, even more quickly.

During sessions, I set the network router to DMZ to allow all traffic to the server, and the firewall is off.

I didn't see any other posts like this. Any pointers to where it is discussed or ideas on where to start looking?

PowerBook G4 / OS X Server 10.4, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Jan 26, 2006 12:16 AM

6 replies

Jan 28, 2006 7:02 PM in response to D Little

This sounds like a basic network connectivity issue, not something particular to Mac OS X Server.

When the ssh session hangs, can you still ping the server (in a separate terminal session)? Are the ping times consistent?

If the pings stop, too, then there's something on the network that's causing a problem. Are there other hosts in the same LAN as the server that you can ping? Do they exhibit the same problem?

Jan 28, 2006 10:04 PM in response to Camelot

Yes, I can ping the server from a seperate session when it happens. A bit more info...

My server is at another location behind a NAT router with DMZ enabled to the server. All other machines are off at the time. At my end, I'm on a Powerbook, also behind a NAT router. At both ends, the network connectivity seems to be running fine.

This issue does not happen when I am at the server's location on the same subnet. Also, when it does happen, it always is when I have paused activity for several seconds (like when reading something) or when I take the focus off the terminal session window. I can actually recreate the problem by doing one of these two things.

Thanks for your help!

PowerBook G4 / OS X Server 10.4 Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Terminal Hangs During SSH

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.