2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2011 3:56 PM by Lawrence Finch
jimf2338 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Battery life on my iphone 4 has suddenly dropped from almost two days with some calls to less than 9 hours with no calls. I have the latest software, keep 3g and blue tooth turned on, and use location services sparingly. Any ideas?

PC and MAC, Mac OS X (10.5.4)
  • AnaMusic Level 9 Level 9 (57,075 points)

The Basic Troubleshooting Steps are:

Restart..  Reset..  Restore from Backup..  Restore as New...

Try this First... You will Not Lose Any Data...

Turn the Phone Off... ( if it isn’t already )

Press and Hold the Sleep/Wake Button and the Home Button at the Same Time...

Wait for the Apple logo to Appear and then Disappear...

Usually takes about 15 - 20 Seconds... (But can take Longer...)

Release the Buttons...

Turn the Phone On...

If that does not help... See Here:

Backing up, Updating and Restoring

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

• Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (32,715 points)

jimf2338 wrote:

Battery life on my iphone 4 has suddenly dropped from almost two days with some calls to less than 9 hours with no calls. I have the latest software, keep 3g and blue tooth turned on, and use location services sparingly. Any ideas?

You have a runaway app that is trying to send data, and probably failing, so it keeps retrying. If you have an Exchange email account that is the most likely suspect; you can turn it off or delete it, then reboot and turn it on or add it back and there's a good chance that will fix it.

Another useful trick is to run the battery all the way down until the phone shuts off and doesn't restart, then charge for 4 hours with the mains charger. This will kill any background processes and also recalibrate the battery gauge - two birds with one stone.