Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create 3 pages of menus and add music

I have 10 short videos and want each to have its own button.

How do I create a three-page DVD Studio Pro menu (four videos on the first page, four on the second, two on the third = 10 total), so that I can navigate between the pages when the DVD is played?

Also need to add a stock background music clip to the menus.

iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 7:35 AM

4 replies

Sep 30, 2011 7:42 AM in response to LarrryC

The key to this being easy for you is to be organized and name eveything. If you want a button to go to "Movie 1" then name that button "Movie 1 Button"

Use 1 track with all 10 videos on it and create "Stories" your buttons should target the stories.

Add background music to the menu in the inspector window.

Now go read the manual to see how to do all this.

Oct 3, 2011 1:52 PM in response to LarrryC

Yup - 'tis all in the manual.

You have some choices to make first - do you want to play a single clip only and return to a menu (use stories) or do you want to be able to skip through all the clips, or start watching one and go through to the next?

These two options are not mutually exclusive - you can achieve both scenarios.

Here's a starter if you don't want to use stories - add all of your clips to a timeline, and add markers between each clip.

When done, drag the icon for the track (from the disc outline view window) onto a blank menu screen and hold it there until you see the contextual menu.

Select the correct option for what you want - add menu and connect to track. You then get to choose the template that you want. Choose one that has the few buttons on that you want to work with - or create a menu template beforehand so that you get the buttons you need.

If you choose a built in template then DVDSP will include the button navigation and navigation between menus. If you don't then you have to add the menu navigation buttons - it isn't hard... in fact, it's probably the better way to do things as you retain more control.

That's pretty much it.

Of course, you could do this AND use stories... ;-)

There are lots of options available to you - try to decide what the end user experience should be for playing back the content, and we can then advise on the best way to achieve it.

Oct 3, 2011 3:49 PM in response to Hal MacLean

I've used Stories before, but am having trouble this time around.

I have 10 movies. I want the viewer to click a button, watch video #1, then be taken back to the menu where he/she can click a second button to watch video #2. Same with video #3, video #4, etc.

I also have a separate 10-second movie I want to play automatically when the disc loads, then the menu should appear where the viewer can start selecting the videos.

Do I load one video after another into the track, creating just one track total?

What about the intro video?

I'm having trouble getting everything linked together so it works. When I Simulate, The intro video plays OK, then nothing else happens. (I can't get the Menu to appear after that.)

Oct 3, 2011 5:49 PM in response to LarrryC

In "order of play":

Get your 10-sec movie onto a track and designate it as First Play. Then set its End Jump to Menu 1. That gets your 10-sec leader played automatically and lands you on your first menu page.

You can make Stories if you wish, BUT...

If you then drag and drop the first four videos in turn onto Menu 1 using the Create Button and Track option, do the same for Menu 2, and then three, you will have 10 tracks named the same as their buttons. Go into the Outline tab and change the End Jump so that each video returns to it's own button and I think you have what you asked for as long as you also create BACK and NEXT buttons between the menus.

What you do with the buttons is up to you... I have no opinion.

Enjoy...

Create 3 pages of menus and add music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.