Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro doesn't see my Ipad

Forgive if this has been posted elsewhere but i looked and could only find Ipod issues. All of a sudden my MacBook doesn't see my Ipad (1st generation). it just worked yesterday and I've done no updates and the cable is in working order. When i plug in the ipad to my laptop it doesn't even charge it. Can someone point in to a resolution other than the Genius Bar (not one in my country). sigh Thanks!!!

iPad

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 8:43 AM

5 replies

Sep 30, 2011 8:55 AM in response to redcookie

These steps are for any iOS device

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1591

Have you tried restarting the iPad and your Mac? That may be helpful. You can try logging in as a different user on the Mac as well and see if the iPad is recognized.

Unless you are absolutely certain that the iPad was charging from the Mac before, it is not unusual that it doesn't charge from the computer if the port doesn't supply enough power. The recommended way to charge the battery is by using the power adapter plugged into a wall socket.

Oct 2, 2011 1:19 PM in response to Demo

The reason i noted that it doesn't charge when plugged in my computer is to show that i don't think it is an itunes issue. i don't ever charge it on my computer but when i do sync it and it is plugged to my macbook, it it does show that it is charging. i have followed most if not all the advice on the link you sent, thanks so much, but i sit with an ipad that my computer, nor itunes, wants to acknowledge. i give up. 😐 thanks again for the link.

Oct 2, 2011 3:12 PM in response to redcookie

redcookie wrote:

The reason i noted that it doesn't charge when plugged in my computer is to show that i don't think it is an itunes issue. i don't ever charge it on my computer but when i do sync it and it is plugged to my macbook, it it does show that it is charging.

That's great. I was just making a point. My iPad charges when plugged into my MacBook as well.

Did you think about updating iTunes or uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes? The most recent version of iTunes is 10.4.1. I just updated my version today - with much apprehension I might add - and it did in fact clear up a couple of issues that I was having with my iPad.

Don't give up!!!!

Oct 3, 2011 12:02 PM in response to Demo

Yep, i uninstalled and reinstalled itunes. still nothing. Interestingly this morning as i am going to synch my iphone, i plug it into my computer and it beeps and indicates it is charging, iphoto opens up, etc. then i get a caution sign on my phone that says this operation not supported by this device...BUT itunes does see my iphone.

i smell a dirty rat and i am thousands of miles away from an apple store. thanks for the help, really appreciate it. i am terrible at this stuff!

Oct 3, 2011 12:16 PM in response to redcookie

I'm not sure that this will help, but it doesn't hurt anything and you will lose no content, apps or any settings - have you tried resetting the iPad?

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons

Did you follow all of the steps in the article? ... The Apple Mobile Device issue? .... The Snow Leopard step at the end of the article?

MacBook Pro doesn't see my Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.