Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to tell if your iPad is equipped for verizon or at&t?

I recently recieved an iPad from the company I work for as a bonus, and I came across this on the apple website when researching how to add 3G:

Choose your iPad by carrier.

If you decide on an iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G, be sure to select the model that corresponds with the carrier you’d like to use for 3G service. The iPad model you purchase is specially configured to work with either AT&T or Verizon — not both. So while you don’t have to activate 3G service right away, you should choose your iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G according to the carrier you prefer.

When you decide to activate 3G data service, you can choose the amount of data per month you want to buy — with no long-term contract. So if you have a business trip or vacation approaching, just sign up for the month you’ll be traveling and cancel when you get back.

I carry Verizon, so how do I tell which carrier my iPad is made to work with, and if it is made for at&t, can I trade it in for a verizon one at the apple store?

iPad 2

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 9:20 AM

If the iPad is made for Verizon, it will not have a slot and carrier for inserting a SIM card.

2 replies

Sep 30, 2011 9:21 AM in response to chrisfromchapel hill

The AT&T version has a SIM card slot on the left side, just below the top. The Verizon model does not. As to whether yours can be exchanged, that depends on where and when it was purchased. For what it's worth, you can get AT&T service on your iPad even if you have Verizon service on your cell phone (I do). Or, if it is an AT&T iPad and can't be exchanged, you can always use the personal hotspot feature on your cell phone if it has that option or purchase a MiFi from Verizon which will create a personal hot spot. The advantage to using the MiFi device is that it works on Verizon's 4G LTE network and is faster than the 3G service built into the iPad.

How to tell if your iPad is equipped for verizon or at&t?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.