Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

URGENT URGENT - $$ - Manually moving mail HELP

Hi all,

I have a corropted mail server that I am trying to recover.

I have re-created the workgroup with all the correct UID, and have Open Directory server up and running.

Have mail server configured, and have the original

/var/spool/imap/dovecot/mail/<ID's> from the corrupted server.

When I move these over, I do not get anythign showing on the new server, I am presuming because of a step I am missing.

I am NOT migrating from a previous version, servers re of the same version, fresh install on #2 and manually put it all back together.

If ANYONE can help me, i would be VERY VERY grateful and would send a paypal payment along your way for your troubles and assisting me with this.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 2:56 AM

Hi Jeff,

You mentioned the UID's are correct...and you restored the folders from a backup.

If these UID's match check the permissions on the folders and make sure the User is the owner of there respective folder.

Also when you mentioned theres nothing showing on the new server, where is it not showing? under mail within server admins maintenance tab accounts? or under the folder /var/spool/imap/dovecot/mail?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2011 2:56 AM in response to RockyMountainMac

Hi Jeff,

You mentioned the UID's are correct...and you restored the folders from a backup.

If these UID's match check the permissions on the folders and make sure the User is the owner of there respective folder.

Also when you mentioned theres nothing showing on the new server, where is it not showing? under mail within server admins maintenance tab accounts? or under the folder /var/spool/imap/dovecot/mail?

Oct 1, 2011 3:17 AM in response to Rod21

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply. I actually worked this one out. A combination of permissions, as well as getting the server to create the original dovecot mail stores for each new user added to the server (because the mail stores themselves don't register with the mail service until mail "sees" that user once (simple login through terminal, or webmail, etc). Once mail created those emptry stores, I was off to the races and could see dirsizecount being populated through server admin as well. I also had a small issue with not turning on mail services for all users. Haven't gone about a full clean install of 10.6 Server prior, mostly upgrades that went <reasonably> smooth, unlike this epic !! Pretty sketchy when you don't have a reliable set of data to migrate from (read :grabbing 100-200 MB of data at a time 😟

Cheers.

Jeff.

URGENT URGENT - $$ - Manually moving mail HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.