Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kill "Resume Applications at Startup" -- This works!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@

@ http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/13/turn-off-resume-the-definitive-solution/

@

@ THIS WORKS! - be sure to close ALL apps before you lock the file.

@

@ File to lock AFTER closing all Apps down, here:

@ ~/ Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.loginwindow.[xxxxxxxxx].plist

@

@ As you close down Apps, you will see this file being updated in real time.

@

@ Note; NONE of my searches as discussed elsewhere found this file,

@ no matter which App I looked for --

@ -- PROBABLY because Spotlight does not have time to index this file, yes???

@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Mac mini, i5 2011, 8GB+750GB, Lion; iPhone4

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 3:19 PM

4 replies

Sep 30, 2011 3:25 PM in response to William Donelson

No, it's because Spotlight by default does not search in any system folders. I don't think it's a good idea to lock the loginwindow plists.

It's the Resume feature of Lion:

Managing Mac OS X Lion's application resume feature.

If you shutdown your computer you should get a dialog asking if you want applications to resume on the next startup. Simply uncheck the box to prevent that from occurring. Open General preferences and uncheck the option to Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps. You can also install a third-party utility to control resume features on individual applications: RestoreMeNot or Application State Cleaner.

Sep 30, 2011 3:42 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

No, it's because Spotlight by default does not search in any system folders. I don't think it's a good idea to lock the loginwindow plists.

It's the Resume feature of Lion:

Managing Mac OS X Lion's application resume feature.

If you shutdown your computer you should get a dialog asking if you want applications to resume on the next startup. Simply uncheck the box to prevent that from occurring. Open General preferences and uncheck the option to Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps. You can also install a third-party utility to control resume features on individual applications: RestoreMeNot or Application State Cleaner.

Note: RestoreMeNot only stops windows in Apps. It does Not prevent the apps from launching again.

No, thanks. Three reasons:

1. I don't want to have to click the checkbox Every Time I Logout, Restart, or Shutdown. This option should be available at LOGIN time, not logout time. Also, I should be able to set the default state of this checkbox.

2. If I am on a network, I get a warning dialog which says I am about to kick off other users. This dialog box has NO tickmark option to Not Resume, so I am stuck. I can never get the "Do Not Resume option" tickbox unless I pull the ethernet cable out of my machine before each restart.

3. When I restart, I 100% of the time want a fresh machine, just like I have for 25 yrs now. Thank you Apple.

Also Your link to "Managing Mac OSX ..." talks about the Saved Appllication State folder. On my machine, this folder is empty and locked and also has permissions revoked now. This does NOT help. This does NOT prevent the apps from relaunching on restart. This does NOT work for me. Thank you.

Sep 30, 2011 3:44 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

QuickTimeKirk wrote:

Hold down the option key when you quit any app to "discard windows".

Hold down the shift key when launching any app to do the same.

Yes, no thanks.This is NOT about application windows, this is about having apps relaunch *(slowly) when I log in next time.

Anyway, I do not want to have to quit "by hand" up to 15 Apps (some hidden) each time I want to restart to a fresh machine.

Kill "Resume Applications at Startup" -- This works!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.