Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot re-install Lion, "unknown error occurred"

I'm having this issue when I try to re-install Lion on my iMac, boot into Recovery Mode....run "Reinstall Mac OS X Lion," it asks me to authenticate with App Store.... I enter my credentials, and it pops back "unknown error occured."

The iMac is hard-wired and able to use the Internet via Safari (in Recovery Mode). I have replicated the issue on two Macs (Macbook Pro, iMac) and it seems I am not able to re-install Lion on either of them.

Has anyone had this issue? Please advise, thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6), 4GB RAM

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 3:36 PM

10 replies

Oct 2, 2011 9:04 PM in response to JohnBradshaw

Update.

I called AppleCare yesterday and was advised by a Senior Advisor there was nothing prohibiting my Apple ID from downloading Lion via Recovery HD. However, he did suggest that it may indeed be "overloaded" with requests and to try again in the evening. As an anecdote, everyone I spoke to at AppleCare was super professional--very impressed.

I tried it this evening and I did not receive the "an unknown error occurred," it went straight through to download the update. Perhaps it is indeed that the server is overloaded but at the moment it is working fine.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Cannot re-install Lion, "unknown error occurred"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.