Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stream Netflix to TV on my MacPro

I don't think I have a clue. I plugged a cable from my dual video card to my TV using the hdmi port on my TV. I can see the movie but no sound. What do I need to do?

Mac Pro 2.66 5gb ram, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 7:39 PM

33 replies

Sep 30, 2011 7:46 PM in response to Cindy

You're gonna have to get the sound from your "audio out" headphones port on your Mac Pro to your TV. Probably need something like this:

User uploaded file

The video card on your mac doesn't output sound........

If there are no "Sound in" RCA jacks on your TV, then you'll need a fancier cable that can splice in sound to the HDMI.

You may also be able to get digital audio to your TV from your mac as well, but let's see if you got standard RCA jacks first.....

Sep 30, 2011 9:19 PM in response to Cindy

Cindy wrote:

I don't think I have a clue. I plugged a cable from my dual video card to my TV using the hdmi port on my TV. I can see the movie but no sound. What do I need to do?

Before stringing additional audio cables what video card are you using? HDMI is also capable of carrying the audio signal. But we would have to know which video card you are using.

Out of curiousity did you check your Sound Preferences' Output channel?

What's the make and model of that TV?

Sep 30, 2011 9:26 PM in response to X423424X

X423424X wrote:

Cindy wrote:

Before stringing additional audio cables what video card are you using? HDMI is also capable of carrying the audio signal. But we would have to know which video card you are using.

Out of curiousity did you check your Sound Preferences' Output channel?

What's the make and model of that TV?

I have a ATI RadeonX 1900 and the TV is a cheap but new TV. It is a Haier HL32D2

I tried all the outputs: Built-in, Audio line out and Optical digital. Nothing.

Sep 30, 2011 9:45 PM in response to Cindy

well it depends on your TV settings. On the menus for your TV if you can choose separate video in and audio in signals, then you should be good. A cable like the one i showed or found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5MM-Speaker-AV-Audio-Connect-RCA-Cable-Cord-Wire-Mini- Jack-Apple-Ipad2-/330620510675?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item4cfa84a1d3#ht_2 981wt_1413

should go from your headphone jack or other audio out jack on your Mac, to the

L/R jacks on your TV :

User uploaded file

But this will only work if your TV can choose HDMI for video, and the Composite video/audio for the audio on menus that run on the TV itself.....

Sep 30, 2011 9:49 PM in response to Cindy

Ok, click the apple menu in the upper left and select About this Mac. The click More Info. If Hardware (at the top of the resulting window) is not selected then select it. The panel on the right will specify the Model identifier. What is (e.g, 3,1 4,1 etc.).

Back on the left click "Audio (bult-in)". There should be a list of stuff on the lower right panel. So you see "S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Input" ?

How to stream Netflix to TV on my MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.