Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I connect my iPad 2 to iTunes it says iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPad

When I connect my iPad 2 to iTunes it says iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPad

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 12:43 AM

9 replies

Dec 27, 2011 4:24 AM in response to DG111

Don't know what computer you are using. Howeve, here is a possible solution to that annoying window/request if you are using a PC. Mac users should be able to work out the equivalent -

Connect your iPad to your computer

Open My computer / Computer

Locate the Apple camera icon

Right click on it and go to Properties

There should be a place to set what will happen each time the device is connected, set it to do nothing.

Please keep me updated, together with your computer type.

Dec 30, 2011 6:31 AM in response to alanfromnewtownards

Hello all.

I am also facing the same issue using a Windows 7 , Dell Inspirion 64 bit laptop

Everytime i connect ipad2 to laptop installed with itunes

a) itunes complains of unable to read the contents of ipad

b) windows explorer opens up a new window recognizing apple ipad2 (i am able to browe upto dcim folder)

any help suggestions most welcome

i already tried the following

a) connecting to win xp 32. win vista 32 and win vista 64 - same issue

b) installed/resintalled many times itunes, starting/restarting amds etc

Can anyone throw some light on the issue?

i am unable to transfer anything to ipad2

Nov 3, 2013 8:25 AM in response to omar99

Worked for an iPad 4 (Retina) running iOS 7.0.3. connected to a Mac (Mavericks, iTunes 11.1.2). Although the file system is a bit different than what is shown on the video, the basic same steps can be carried out: download iFunbox (for Mac, obviously), go into "Raw file system", then "iTunes_Control" (you may want to switch to list view to see the complete name), then iTunes. There there was no iTunesDB file but I deleted iTunesCDB (was 0kB, expect that might have been the problem) and iTunesControl (0kB as well). Also deleted the Music folder in the previous directory.

After that I disconnected the iPad from iTunes, quit iTunes, relaunched, and it started sync'ing :-)

Note that now it's telling me that it cannot sync because an additional 10GB is required! Not sure what the problem is because the bar at the bottom of the iTunes window says it still has another 4GB available. I'm expecting there's a problem with how the size of the music is calculated (perhaps because I also sync Genius playlists and mixes), so I disabled music sync'ing for now so it can complete it once. Then I'll hand-pick the music again and hope it works!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.