4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2011 6:10 AM by marc smith6
marc smith6 Level 2 Level 2 (155 points)

Hi

I use Super Duper to make a clone of my system disk (320GB) and copy the drive to an installed (1TB) drive. My main system drive is getting near the limit so I need to swap the drives. If I use Super Duper to back up my system fully then take my (320GB) out and replace the drive with a new 1TB drive and then copy the drives contents from my original backup to the newly installed 1TB would that be fine?

MacPro 8 Core 8GB Ram and MBP iPhone 3.1, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • igirl1 Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

marc smith6 wrote:

Hi

I use Super Duper to make a clone of my system disk (320GB) and copy the drive to an installed (1TB) drive. My main system drive is getting near the limit so I need to swap the drives. If I use Super Duper to back up my system fully then take my (320GB) out and replace the drive with a new 1TB drive and then copy the drives contents from my original backup to the newly installed 1TB would that be fine?

Yes!  And the thing is - if for some strange reason it doesn't work you can always put the 320GB right back in!  You could also use SD to backup directly TO that bare 1TB drive (assuming you have a dock or enclosure for it) - then just pop it in - thus saving you one step.

• ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,315 points)

Yes you can clone 10.6 to a external drive,

swtich the internal drives

hold option and boot off the external clone

format the new internal drive in Disk Utility with a GUID Partition Map and a OS X Extended (Journaled) format (under the Partiton tab)

then clone the 10.6 clone onto the internal drive and reboot, set it as the boot option in System Preferences.

However, if your on 10.7

You can clone the 10.7 OS X partition, but not the Lion Recovery Partiton because, duh, it's on another partiton.

So for that you have first have to use the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant, which copies your Lion Recovery Partiton to a cd or something ( I don't know as I did use it yet)

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1433

You likely need to format the drive somehow first, or perhaps the Lion Disk Assistant will do that for you, in either case the Lion Recovery Partiton needs to be installed on the new drive first, so that the GUID Partition Table (or Map), Lion OS X Partition and Lion Recovery Partiton are created with a OS X Extended (Journaled) drive format.

Then one can option boot off the 10.7 clone and clone that to the Lion OS X Partition. One doesn't need to Command R boot into the Lion Recovery Partition and redownload Lion from Apple's servers because it's already on the clone.

• uselessSABOTAGE Level 4 Level 4 (3,680 points)

I am not entirely sure, but I'd be surprised if I was wrong.  Use super duper (or even carbon copy cloner) to make a bootable clone of your drive.  Once complete swap drives and you should be ready to boot to an exact replica of your previous drive with some extra real estate.

• marc smith6 Level 2 Level 2 (155 points)

Thanks for the replies. Yeah thats what I thought I was just checking;-)

DS Store you have indirectly answered a question that has been bugging me for a while. I have already got a number of bootable drives installed (Lion, SL) and different versions of FCP & FCP X for testing purposes. One thing that kept happening was that my Lion disk was always the default disk to boot even after working on my SL drive and didn't know what was going on. So by your post I quickly realised that I could change the default drive in System Preferences. So thanks for that!