Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental control time limits not working

I have set my daughter's time limts for 8pm to 6 am on weeknights and 10 pm to 6 am on weekends and when she goes to login, it says she "Can login at 12am?" The time limits worked for one day and since then, it always says she can login at 12 am.

The only other thing I can think of is there is a timezone conflict. However, the timezone is set correctly. The other strange oddity is my keyboard is set for QWERTY English while running and when logging in, it switches to AZERTY (French). Is there any connection??

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 8:55 AM

There are two sets of limits on Parental controls. The first is the total accumulated time in a day and the other is bedtime hours preventing access. If she exceeeded the total number of hours allowed in a day, the new login time would be 12am. Can she actually log in at 12am or does the Bedtime exclusion then kick in?

There are numerous bugs in Parental controls that hopefully will be fixed in future updates.

Regards,

Captfred

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2011 8:55 AM in response to Bufflyn

There are two sets of limits on Parental controls. The first is the total accumulated time in a day and the other is bedtime hours preventing access. If she exceeeded the total number of hours allowed in a day, the new login time would be 12am. Can she actually log in at 12am or does the Bedtime exclusion then kick in?

There are numerous bugs in Parental controls that hopefully will be fixed in future updates.

Regards,

Captfred

Oct 1, 2011 9:24 AM in response to Bufflyn

Bufflyn wrote:

I have set my daughter's time limts for 8pm to 6 am on weeknights and 10 pm to 6 am on weekends and when she goes to login, it says she "Can login at 12am?" The time limits worked for one day and since then, it always says she can login at 12 am.

As "CaptFred" wrote, the tool is not working perfect at now.

For that, you should not set two restrictions at the same time as they may compensate each other.

For accumulated time control the day ends at 12pm and the control script enables then the access, starting a new count cycle, even if the bed-time restriction is set.

This because the control scripts for bed time are time triggered and run (in your case) only at 10pm to stop the access and at 6pm to enable the access again.

That means: If another script enables the access meanwhile the bed-time script does not register that.

For this set only bed-time restrictions OR time summary restriction until that bug is eventually fixed in future.

Lupunus

Message was edited by: lupunus (typo's fixed)

Oct 1, 2011 1:54 PM in response to captfred

Thanks!! Too bad you can't run both restrictions at the same time. I don't want her on the computer for more than an hour, but also need to limit when she is on it!

I've reset it so that it will only limit how much time she is on and removed the time limits. I'll will tomorrow if it times out.

Question: If she logs out, will the timer stop?

Oct 1, 2011 2:02 PM in response to Bufflyn

The timer will stop and just count the time she is on, however, there's a bug that if the time is going to expire and the admin grants an "extension", she can log off and log on and get that extension time added again. Looks to me like that can be repeated all night.

Also another bug that if you try to view her logs from another Mac, they won't be displayed. You have to check logs from the admin account of her machine.

Hopefully they'll fix these things in some future release.

Oct 1, 2011 2:39 PM in response to Bufflyn

Bufflyn wrote:

Thanks!! Too bad you can't run both restrictions at the same time. I don't want her on the computer for more than an hour, but also need to limit when she is on it!

Only my humble opinion:

Make your kid get enough sleep may be the priority, aside of limiting the Internet access or computer time to a child adequate amount.

For that it may be more useful to limit the night access instead the computer time as such.

To reach this, there will be eventually another (combined) way you can use.

Some router models provide a time based limitation of the Internet access for defined stations. You may check your router for such settings and if available combine this with the parental control of the computer; e.g. 2 hours a day but no Internet connection possible from 8pm to 11am.

To give you an idea I'll post two images of the Airport base station settings.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Parental control time limits not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.