Unfortunately, the AirPorts are not listed as Xbox Live-compatible routers ... so there is no guarantee doing this will get Open NAT status for Xbox Live!
The following web blog does a great job explaining the NAT issues with Xbox Live! Basically what it comes down to is that although you can get an Internet connection for the Xbox with the AirPorts, you may not get the necessary NAT setting (Moderate or Open) for the Xbox Live! on-line game that you want to play. As such, you basically have two options: 1) Create a DMZ (Apple calls this a Default Host) for the XBox or 2) Configure the AirPort for Port mapping to open the required ports to allow Xbox Live! access ... or 3) Use a compatible router.
Option 1 - Create a DMZ
- AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > NAT
- Enable default host at: <Enter the IP Address for the XBox>
Option 2 - Configure Port Mapping
The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly:
- UDP 88
- UDP 3074
- TCP 3074
To setup port mapping on an 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn), either connect to the AEBSn's wireless network or temporarily connect directly, using an Ethernet cable, to one of the LAN port of the AEBSn, and then use the AirPort Utility, in Manual Setup, to make these settings:
1. Reserve a DHCP-provided IP address for the Xbox 360.
- AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > DHCP tab
- Click the "+" (Add) button to enter DHCP Reservations.
- Description: <enter the desired description of the host device>
- Reserve address by: MAC Address
- Click Continue.
- MAC Address: <Enter the MAC hardware address of the Xbox or the MAC address of the wireless depending on how you connect the XBox to the network.>
- IPv4 Address: <enter the desired Private IP address>
- Click Done.
2. Setup Port Mapping on the AEBSn.
AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > NAT > Configure Port Mappings
- Click the "+" (Add) button
- Service: <choose the appropriate service from the Service pop-up menu>
- Public UDP Port(s): 88, 3074
- Public TCP Port(s): 3074
- Private IP Address: <enter the DHCP Reserved IP address for the Xbox you created earlier>
- Private UDP Port(s): 88, 3074
- Private TCP Port(s): 3074
- Click "Continue"