Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new Macbook Pro (Lion) kernel panics randomly

I have a sweet, brand new MacBook Pro (specs below). It kernel panics seemingly randomly. Apple has swapped out the entire computer for me, so it isn't hardware related or due to a corrupted OS. I'm trying to find the software issue and could use some help. I checked the forums and noticed the AirPort driver solution. However, my problem doesn't seem to be AirPort related according to the panic logs. Also, it crashed once when I was using ethernet (though AirPort was still enabled...). I'm hesitant to apply that brute force fix unless there is no other solution.

Here are the panic log process names for each of the recent panic's (I've had 6 panic's since I received the new computer about 3 days ago):

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: firefox-bin

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: iTunes

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: firefox-bin

So there is no trend there. Each time it panic's I keep a log of all the open apps I have running and any peripherals. The only apps, so far, that are consistently running during these panics are iTunes (sometimes it is playing and sometimes it is not) and Firefox. There is no consistency in any other app or peripheral. I have stopped using iTunes for now to see if that is related, but I doubt it.

They have also occured on 3 separate networks (work, home and a public cafe network). Sometimes the panics are 30 minutes apart, while yesterday it didn't occur once!

Sometimes the panic occur when I'm typing. Sometimes they occur when I'm just staring at the computer (once I was on the phone and the computer had been idle for like 5 minutes and it just panic'd in front of me.)

All software has been upgraded to their latest and greatest versions. I can't think of anything else to do. This is bizarre - completely new computer, same panics.

Any advice?

specs:

MacBook Pro 2Ghz intel core i7

8GB RAM

256G SSD

15" hi-res monitor

OS X 10.7.1

MacBook Pro and Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 9:54 AM

6 replies

Oct 1, 2011 10:19 AM in response to aarnop808

Regardless of whether they have already swapped it out once, If it is kernel panic-ing with frequency, take it back to them and have them figure out why.

Your alternative is to post the ENTIRE panic logs here, in the hope that readers can uncover a trend.

If the words "Machine Check" appear in each log, do not bother to post them here, those are Hardware Problems.

Oct 1, 2011 10:39 AM in response to aarnop808

Looking deeper through the forums, I may have found another cause here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3201400?start=0&tstart=0

The software described in that thread is installed in my machine. I removed it via the uninstaller. Then grepped the entire computer and found lots of left over stuff their installer did not remove. I removed it manually and rebooted. I will post here if I don't get any crashes in 48 hours.

Brand new Macbook Pro (Lion) kernel panics randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.