Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15" MacBook Pro i7 2.2 — Humming HDD Noise

The drive is a TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF, but it hums relentlessly the minute I power on. In most rooms it's not noticable that much (can still hear it over the fridge), but in a quiet room it's quite annoying. It's not beyond what I've heard on other brand laptops, so normal there, but for Apple...

- The hard drives of 2007 and 2009 MacBooks/Pros never made any noise under normal use.

- I've seen other people reporting it, especially with the Toshiba.

Is it normal?

Is it worth going to the Apple Store?

- My machine is a few days old, I would prefer a complete replacement (as I don't want them poking around inside and messing things up as they have for me in the past, just my experience). So, on that note, is it likely to get a replacement for this issue alone?

- If they'd be replacing it, I might as well upgrade to a High-Res screen (I'd pay extra), and perhaps the 7200 RPM HDD (same price, but 500 GB only). Do you think that's possible to do?

(Right now it's a 15" MacBook Pro i7 2.2 GHz with a 750 GB & 5400 RPM HDD.)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 2.2GHz Core i7, 750GB HDD, 4GB RAM

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 5:36 AM

Apple replaced it.

It was weird.

1 reply

15" MacBook Pro i7 2.2 — Humming HDD Noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.