Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

x in battery icon

Hello all,

I have a macbook running all the latest updates to 10.6.8 and my battery icon shows an x and my ac power adptor always shows a green light for the past few weeks.The battery has not been kept in storage but used on a regular basis. Sometimes I let it all the way down but most of the time I charged it when it got below 20%

The battery is about a year old and bought from the apple store in the US. My computer is also from the US and I am currently in New Zealand and recently bought a power adaptor for here. Don't know if that makes a difference on the power.

I have tried resetting my SMC and PRAM but neither have fixed the problem. Below are my stats:

Battery Information:

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 0

Fully charged: No

Charging: No

Full charge capacity (mAh): 0

Health Information:

Cycle count: 0

Battery Installed: No

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 0

any advice on how to fix would be fantastic.

Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 4:18 PM

4 replies

Oct 1, 2011 4:29 PM in response to Minerva69

If you click the battery icon, it should say if you need to replace the battery. Also, try going to the Power section in System Preferences, and it has a rough battery life meter somewhere.

And it looks like you have a failed battery, which can happen from many different things such as letting it run out too freqently or exposing it to a lot of heat.

Oct 1, 2011 6:24 PM in response to Minerva69

if i click on the icon it tells me no battery avaliable, as if it cannot read the battery at all. it also shows no battery in system prefernces. I try to keep my macbook on a slight incline to vent heat but that could be an issue. given the fact that the battery doesn't register at all i wonder if it could be a software problem.

Oct 2, 2011 11:26 AM in response to Minerva69

Minerva69 wrote:

snip ...

The battery is about a year old and bought from the apple store in the US. My computer is also from the US and I am currently in New Zealand and recently bought a power adaptor for here. Don't know if that makes a difference on the power.

Why did you buy a power adaptor, it is not needed and may have unexpected results, the Magsafe supply will run on NZ power.

x in battery icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.