Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extended network with Airport Express

I recently extended my wireless network by extending my Time Capsule signal with an Airport Express. Now that I have two access points for the same wireless network, what determines which access point a device connects to? Also, if a device connects to the AE will this connection be slower than the Time Capsule connection?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 9:02 PM

It will connect to the greater signal device.

Yes, double hop wireless will be slower BUT if you cannot get wireless with a direct connection to the main router than it is much faster than nothing. If you have a choice.. a wired or alternative link like EOP is far superior to using wireless repeaters. Every wireless hop will reduce the speed by that amount.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2011 9:02 PM in response to 105437

It will connect to the greater signal device.

Yes, double hop wireless will be slower BUT if you cannot get wireless with a direct connection to the main router than it is much faster than nothing. If you have a choice.. a wired or alternative link like EOP is far superior to using wireless repeaters. Every wireless hop will reduce the speed by that amount.

Extended network with Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.