Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My delete key only deletes in forward direction!

Please help. All of a sudden, I my delete key only works in the forward direction (to the right) and will not backspace delete! QWhat happened??

Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 10:57 PM

15 replies

Oct 1, 2011 11:17 PM in response to SnowBeavers

Try doing a SMC reset, it may take 2-3 attempts.

SMC RESET

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord and all peripherals.
  • Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  • Release the power button.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

• Shut down the computer.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

Oct 2, 2011 7:12 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I tried this once but to no avail. Will try again when I get home.

I should add my left and right arrow keys are not working either. I use the apple wireless keyboard. The weird thing is when I turn off my keyboard and turn it on while going into system preferences and keyboard and "detect new keyboard", it works temporarily then goes back to not working. So I don't think it is hardware related.

Oct 2, 2011 7:33 PM in response to SnowBeavers

SnowBeavers wrote:

Please help. All of a sudden, I my delete key only works in the forward direction

Under normal conditions, this will happen if the Fn key is pressed. If it is always forward-deleting, one possible cause is a Fn key stuck in the down position. What happens currently if you press Fn+Delete? Does it change anything, or does it reverse the behavior? This might give you a clue about if it has to do with a defect with the Fn key.

SnowBeavers wrote:

I should add my left and right arrow keys are not working either. I use the apple wireless keyboard.

If the Fn key is stuck down, then the left and right arrow keys would behave as Home and End keys. Have you observed if this is happening? Like on a long web page?

Nov 29, 2012 12:01 AM in response to SnowBeavers

I have exactly the same problem. With my Imac 27 the "backspace" button works like "delete" (forward) and the arrows aren't working for moving among the written text. So it's very difficult to work since i cannot access the text i've just written...

The wireless keyboard should be ok since with other computer works properly... After making SMC and PRAM reset everything seems to work properly for about a minute and then the problem is back again... Any ideas?

i think the problem came after updating to "wireless keyboard software 2.0"... Thanks

Sep 3, 2013 12:10 PM in response to SnowBeavers

Same problem here with a couple twists. Issues: after I cleaned key board thinking I was out of range of iMac but wasn't, delete key deletes to the right, arrows keys jump full page or sentences, sound-up key pulls up dashboard, mute key doesn't work and using left shift key to capitalize "T" doesn't work. I can fix sound-up key issue by changing system preferences - keyboard "use all F1, F2 etc..." selection (either way!). SMT reset fixes delete and arrow key issues but only until something sets it back, such as if I use the left shift key to try and capitalize "T" Frankly, at this point I'd be happy just to buy a new keyboard but am concerned that will not solve problem. Help?

Sep 3, 2013 1:39 PM in response to SnowBeavers

In addition, when I use Show Keyboard Viewer, the FN key doesn’t shade when pressed and certain keys, such as the shift keys and caps lock, cause the FN key to become shaded and it stays that way. When that happens, the delete key changes direction and the arrow keys change to the problematic setting in the Viewer.

Oct 24, 2013 4:42 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Ok so where is an update on this?

Recently my keyboard has been experiencing exactly the same problem.

Delete button only goes forward or works when highlighting, left and right arrow keys aren't working, FN does not change anything and volume up button brings up the dashboard while mute doesnt work.

This seems to be a bug that a lot of users are experiencing so where's the patch apple?

They should be better than this!

Also having the same problems as others with the fixing attempts.

Jun 26, 2015 6:28 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Just to add to the statistics, I had the fn key always affecting things issue too, but only on one keyboard. Another keyboard worked fine, which made be skeptical about whether reseting the power manager would help. But I gave it a go anyway, only using the normal key sequence, not the ones given here. The steps are:

shut down

press the control, option, shift, and power keys for a few seconds.

let go

press the power button to start up

That fixed things, but unfortunately only for a couple of minutes. I'm going to try starting up in safe mode, see if maybe something iI have installed is causing the issue.

Sep 22, 2015 8:59 AM in response to olivio@mac

I am experiencing the same "delete and arrows" issue as everyone here with my bluetooth keyboard.

It's intermittent and started after a battery change. Batteries @ 100% and have tried multiple batteries.

Same issue on multiple computers.

Disconnecting and reconnecting restores it for a few seconds. I suspect corrupted firmware, but can't reinstall Keyboard Firmware 2.0 as it's outdated.

A ton of people have this problem, only possible fix I have seen is to hold down function key for 20+ seconds but does not work for me.

Buy a new keyboard. Apple taking a very weak stance on this. Disappointing.

My delete key only deletes in forward direction!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.