Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture crashes when importing iPhoto library

Have recently purchased Aperture 3.1.3 from the App Store. Was chocked to see that the app keeps on crashing when I try to import my full iPhoto library into the Aperture library. My iPhoto lib is not that big, maybe 8 Gb. Is it really a matter of RAM as someone has suggested? How can my 4 gb not be enough when the specs say 1gb? I am on an iMac 27" w 4 gb and running Lion.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 11:18 AM

14 replies

Oct 2, 2011 4:24 PM in response to Jazzz

Jazzz wrote:

How can my 4 gb not be enough when the specs say 1gb?

Because Apple and Adobe publish inappropriately low RAM needs for their pro apps. They do consumers a disservice. IMO the proper response would be for vendors to present a frank discussion of real RAM usage (including different OS versions and 32-bit v. 64-bit) instead of the silly 1980s-type "minimum required RAM" specification.

Check your hard drives. Another common impediment to import is overfilled hard drives. Drives slow as they fill and can misbehave as they become overfilled. 70% full is a good maximum guidleine, but less full is faster. The Aperture Library ideally should be on an internal drive.

At 4 GB RAM may or may not be an issue.

You can evaluate whether or not you have adequate RAM by looking at the Page Outs number under System Memory on the Activity Monitor app before starting a work session; recheck after working and if the page outs change (manual calculation of ending page outs number minus starting page outs number) is not zero your workflow is RAM-starved. Ignore the pie charts and other info in Activity Monitor.

If your test showed that page outs increased significantly during operation you can

• add RAM

• and/or simply try to run Aperture by itself

• and/or switch from 64-bit operation to 32-bit operation (which will make some additional RAM space available).

IMO any Aperture user with a computer that will take it should install at least 8 GB RAM.

If none of the above have bearing on your issue try creating a small new Aperture Library with a just a few images and see if it works.

HTH

-Allen Wicks

Oct 8, 2011 6:06 AM in response to SierraDragon

I agree totally. In their efforts to sell more of their apps, they are "cheating" people to think that they can run the app on whatever hardware they have.

However, my iMac still has 700GB+ free out of 1TB, so the HD shouldn't be the reason for this. As mentioned in another reply, I have now manually imported all folders, and right now, the app feels quite stable.

In regards to the Page Outs, that doesn't seem to change much either. Below is a screen shot (in Danish of course :-) but I think you get the picture).

User uploaded file

(the above shot was taken when Aperture, Safari and Mail was running at the same time)

Thanks very much for your very specific hints and tips.

Brgds

Soren

Jun 18, 2012 2:33 AM in response to Jazzz

I have this same issue.

I'm running iPhoto 9.3 (have upgraded my library and it opens fine in iPhoto) and Aperture 3.3 (also with upgraded library that opens fine in Aperture) on a 27" iMac with 16GB RAM and have about 1.2TB of free disk space on my internal drive.

I have close to 30,000 photos in my iPhoto library. It gets about half way and then simply quits. I have sent a crash report to Apple for what that's worth.

I reverted my library back from a saved Vault. My Aperture library stores files as 'referenced' files, not 'managed' files.

I guess I will wait for an update to Aperture before I try that again.

Jul 8, 2012 10:42 AM in response to Jazzz

I am having the same problem.

Crashing half way through importing iPhoto library (58GB on internal HD, upgraded to iPhoto 9.3) into an new empty aperture library (on an external USB2 drive). Using an early generation iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM. Aperture 3.3.1 and iPhoto 9.3. Leaves most events/projects imported but without thumbnails (have to rebuild aperture library) and no geotagging or keyword tags.

Very frustrating.

The iPhoto library opens just fine within Aperture (geotags, keywords and all) and individual projects exported as libraries then import fine, but I want to merge the whole library to create a new master Aperture library and make Aperture my new main photo filing software. Is there anything wrong with just using the iPhoto library in Aperture from this point on? I guessed it was best to create a proper Aperture library.

Thanks for any advice anyone has.

Sam

Jul 8, 2012 7:48 PM in response to Yer_Man

In my case I was keen to merge both libs so as to have only one master photo library I can open with either Aperture or iPhoto depending on what I want to do. iPhoto is better with smart folders and Aperture is better at straightening images and handles RAW photos better. (just one example).

I solved my issues by breaking my iPhoto lib into three chunks and importing those three chunks using 'add' rather than 'merge'. Aperture still crashes routinely when backing up to a Vault however which is pretty poor work on Apple's part, but other than that it's all good now.

d

Aperture crashes when importing iPhoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.