Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore Appleworks icon to dock?

HP deskjet 5550-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 3:14 PM

15 replies

Oct 2, 2011 10:25 PM in response to peterfrompukekohe

When I got my new iMac, it did not come with AppleWorks (because I did not purchase AW with the machine).

I had AppleWorks on my old G4. So I just copied the AppleWorks folder from that machine to the iMac (via drag-and-drop copy using an external firewire drive) and dropped it into the hard drive on the iMac. It's loose on the hard drive, not in the Applicatios folder. Works fime from there, in Snow Leopard (it will not work in Lion, of course).

Perhaps your AppleWorks folder was placed in a location other than in the Applications folder. You can do a search (Command-F) using the criteria of 'kind is Folder' and 'name includes AppleWorks' to see if it is somewhere else on the drive.

Oct 3, 2011 12:00 AM in response to peterfrompukekohe

If I re-install the original disc done for me when I bought it, will that contain "appleworks" ?

ps I live close to Auckland, NZ

Probably not.

AppleWorks is normally provided on its own CD, rather than included with software on the OS install disk, even when purchased with the machine originally.

Have you ever had AppleWorks running on the new machine?

Do you have Pages available on that machine, either on the Dock or at least in the Applications folder? Pages is the 'replacement' for AppleWorks (sort of), and can usually open text documents created by AppleWorks v. 6.

Oct 3, 2011 12:21 AM in response to Don Archibald

Not seen "Pages" in dock or in Applications folder...what does that icon look like?

If not how can I type up documents to print off or send as email attachments..currently I can only write an email and send it......somone from London said yesterday when I sent him 2 emails ,instead of one with the submission to my golf club attached,..He asked..where is the attachment????

Later he said he'd discovered it as a second email.

My G4 had appleworks...frustrating this so called "upgrade " does not!!

Thanks for your help...can get back tomorrow morning NZtime as it's now 815pm Mon here, so 14 hours time.(Time is about the only thing NZ is ahead of the world on, with the exception of dairy products and sheep, ++ maybe our Rugby Team which is about to win the Rugby World Cup being held here(we hope)..USA are on their way home as it's down to the last 8 out of 20 teams. Your team played creditably., and beat Russia.

At least you guys are No. in the world at gridiron, just like the Aussies are #1 at Australian Rules football(ARL). They had their final in melbourne on Sat with (99000 in attendance).

Oct 3, 2011 6:46 AM in response to peterfrompukekohe

Peter, if I'm not mistaken Appleworks no longer works with Lion. It's not available in the App Store, so I suspect its life has drawn to an close.

😟

I sympathize with you, I have a lot of Appleworks documents too.

When I migrated to Lion I first exported all my Appleworks documents to a common format. What usually happens is most formatting gets messed up, but at least I had something to work with.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.