Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility can't repair this disk...

I am using a 1.5 TB external HDD (via USB). The HDD is partitioned into 2 sections. Currently, one section appears fine and mounts in Finder (luckily, this is the partition that I backup my computer with - via Carbon). The other partition, the one where I store media content, will no longer mount.

History:

I restarted my computer today, and when it booted, Finder alerted me that the external disk (we'll call it MEDIA from here on out) could not be repaired.

I went into Disk Utility, saw the HDD as well as both paritions (backup and MEDIA).

I verified MEDIA (I believe there was a message at the end of this, although I do not remember what it said).

I then began to repair MEDIA.

Through a series of miscommunications, I closed Disk Utility during this process.

MEDIA now is not showing in Finder and refuses to be repaired by Disk Utility (the error says: Disk Utility can't repair this disk...back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files).

Where can I go from here?

Thank you all in advance!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 7:54 PM

4 replies

Mar 31, 2013 7:16 AM in response to Kappy

I had a similar problem; with the message : "Disk Utility can't repair this disk...back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files"

Then -

I used Disk Utility and choose the option 'erase disk'; I choose quick erase; this worked good. (my hypothesis of the root cause - The usb disk had been used for Time Machine and this had partionined and created key sectors such that the DISK was useless anymore;)

Afterwards I did the disk first aid again and the disk is now perfect. I am currently using it full swing again.

- I remember I had a NAS with the same problem; I gave it away; the person who got it said ist was as simple as rewriting the root record :-((( my money flowed away...

Now you said 'reformat'; I did not find that option but what I did worked too.

Disk Utility can't repair this disk...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.