Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You do not have enough access privileges for this operation!

I just updated to iTunes 10.4.1 (from 10.4.0). When I open iTunes, I get the warning, "You do not have enough access privileges for this operation." The first time it happened, something had completely erased my iTunes folder in my home folder. I restored it from a backup.

I still can log in to the iTunes store and everything I've tried works, but I get this message every time. I did repair system permissions and also restored user permissions via the "resetpassword" terminal command when booted from my Lion repair partition.

Any suggestions?

Mid-2011 MacBook Air 11-inch-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 7:47 PM

I can also add something else. In the past, when something funny happens in iTunes, I've had success by deauthorizing my computer and then re-authorizing it. I tried to deauthorize my computer and got the following message:

"There was an error storing your authorization information on this computer. The required directory was not found or has a permissions error. Correct this permissions problem and try again, or deauthorize this computer if the permissions cannot be changed."

I get it repeatedly. As I said above, I've checked and/or repaired all my permissions. This happened after the updgrade to 10.4.1.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2011 7:47 PM in response to Scott Newman

I can also add something else. In the past, when something funny happens in iTunes, I've had success by deauthorizing my computer and then re-authorizing it. I tried to deauthorize my computer and got the following message:

"There was an error storing your authorization information on this computer. The required directory was not found or has a permissions error. Correct this permissions problem and try again, or deauthorize this computer if the permissions cannot be changed."

I get it repeatedly. As I said above, I've checked and/or repaired all my permissions. This happened after the updgrade to 10.4.1.

Oct 4, 2011 6:28 AM in response to Monalisa Discussion

I found the answer in the following Apple knowledge base item:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1277

There are clickable links for Mac OS X and Windows. Follow the instructions. It provides terminal commands to create a Shared folder and to set the correct permissions for that folder.

The Shared folder is at the following path: <BootVolume>/Users/Shared

But be advised that there are several reasons you might be this error message and not having a Shared folder is just one of the reasons. If you do a Google search for [iTunes "access privileges"] there are reports from a variety of individuals that note a variety of probable causes.

You do not have enough access privileges for this operation!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.