Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen washed out in Magenta with Changing Cursor

Using a brand new Thunderbolt Mini, 2.3GHz intel Core i5, 2Gb memory with Snow leopard on an External Drive. The Mini is connected to a Vizio E260MV (LED/LCD) HDTV using HDMI to HDMI no adapters. Runs fine (as can be) under Lion. Howerver Restarting under SL makes a screen a wash in magenta with the cursor randomly changing to differnt symbols like the beach ball or insertion cursor or non entirely. Have not nor care to try using another method of video connection, I spent enough on this setup and what I paid for should work. Anyone know if this is acknowledged by Apple or a software workaround? Its completely unrealistic to assume I can only run Lion as Too too too many programs are not compatible.

Also isite Camera on any OS in this mini prevents the Audio from the External Firewire iSite Camera to work. It shows active by the movement in the equalizer's sound preference file. But no sound for Facetime or any software which can use the camera.

Completly makes sense why Job's Left while on top. Never had such serious issues (these are but two) with Apple Service and Products in my lifetime until now. So very dissapointed with this company, but thats for a different post.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 6:29 AM

4 replies

Oct 3, 2011 1:10 PM in response to petesweaty

Hi,

The External iSight issue is normally about the type of 400 to 800 Adapter or cable you are using.
See this Search of EZ Jim's Posts

It also pays if it has been updated to run version 1.0.3 Firmware (Check the System Profiler under Firewire)

User uploaded file
9:10 PM Monday; October 3, 2011

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Oct 3, 2011 7:55 PM in response to petesweaty

Thanks for the help guys. Yes I am compliant with the items brought up. I've been fidding with this after a couple of hours Tech Support led to the final conclusion to perform a reinstall. I think I got a close handle on the issue and am working towards it before I use that as the final solution.

It appears the OS under SL is reading Two monitors (when only the one exists) The Visio HDMI can't seem to handshake well enough to work in harmony under SL (in Lion it works although I have a feeling its not getting their smoothly though). What was a big issue is when I somehow booted into the "phantom screen" which has no finder. After a little invisable fishing with my mouse over in the "phantom zone" which was the primary screen. I fished the monitor sceen and pulled it over. ( pretty amusing). and found that CMD-F1 got me to the primary screen. I had each set with a differnt background to avoid confusion. CMD-F1 actually does not switch the screen but actually turns on Mirror. So Mirror is now on. A few test revealed one screen is favored at boot and move the finder bar to that window. Now it will boot with the master screen in Magenta wash. Turning the Vizio TV off then on or from AV to HDMI clears the screen to proper colors and specifications. It appears I will always have to do this. I will see about obtaining another Vizio (this is my 1st and new) and see if a different Vizio yields better results.

If anyone knows the particilar drivers to remove. I think there might be a duplicate which is causing this business. The preference for the monitor brings up two windows. One named "Displays" and the other "Display"

Turning off Mirroring it does not like. There appears no simple to say trash the other window in the preference. Which cannot be done anyway under Mirror as they appear to lock one on top of the other.

removing plist and zapping pram does not help. there must be a driver conflict. "Safe boot" yields same results. So whatever it is will keep loading up until found or if the Visio somehow has an issue and needs repair. console provides no clues to loading or conflicts. for all purposes, it thinks there are Two monitors. Detect displays does nothing also.

I'll table the isite issue for another day.

Screen washed out in Magenta with Changing Cursor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.