Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my iTunes Library mirror my cd shelf?

I would like my itunes library to look just like my cds on my shelf, where all the Beatles cds are together, for example. Instead I get the Album Artist first, which puts my Acid Jazz compilation cd next to Abbey Road, and what about Let it Be? Other ordering combinations break up my compilation cds into 20 pieces.

Also, are the files stored and organized by this application or does the application read them from somewhere else on the hardrive?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), brand spanking new

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 6:56 AM

7 replies

Oct 3, 2011 7:43 AM in response to BABBOvicenza

You can accomplish what you want to do with iTunes. It all depends on how accurate your ID3 tags are, and how you are sorting the albums in the iTunes window.

Let's look at your Beatles albums. You should set the Artist and Album Artist tags correctly. For most albums these two things will be "The Beatles." For an album like the Yellow Submarine Soundtrack, though, some of the tracks are performed by the "The George Martin Orchestra." So for those tracks the Artist will be that, and the Album Artist will be "The Beatles." Setting an accurate Album Artist will also solve your complication problem.

When you have the Artist and Album Artist tags set, how should you sort them? I use the Album List in iTunes, and I almost always sort Album by Artist/Year, or Album by Artist. This groups all albums by a particular artist together, just like you want them to be.

BABBOvicenza wrote:

Also, are the files stored and organized by this application or does the application read them from somewhere else on the hardrive?

Both. In iTunes Prefs > Advanced there are two options for how iTunes will organize your files.

Oct 3, 2011 8:18 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:

I don't know if they have changed this with newer versions of iTunes but with 7.5 I can click the album column header and it will also let me sort "Album by artist" (i.e., what you want to do) and "Album by year".

It's the same.

Around version 10.2, they added the option to use Album Artist instead of the Artist in the Artist column..

Oct 6, 2011 2:25 AM in response to léonie

friends, thnx all 4 ur help. i wil try 2 click the points recognition 4 ur help.

here's what i did -- and oddly the beatles example proved instructive: i fiddled with the sort options suggested by you, using the select-all function in my music library. but then i had 'lost' disk 2 of the white album. where could it have gone? well, then i just used the "all" search field typing 'beatles'. in doing so -- in searching through All -- i accomplished my goal of grouping all my beatles albums together, just like on the shelf. WHERE WAS DISK 2? well, because Revolution 9 was co-written by Nicky Hopkins, the entire disk was grouped under Various Artists. Who knew? Since the actual title of the white album is The Beatles, it got swept up. Also in searching, Richie Havens' album of dylan n beatles songs was captured, which if perfectly fine 4 me.

so, between sort and search options, i should be able to any shelf-type combination i may desire! CIAO FOR NOW!

Can my iTunes Library mirror my cd shelf?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.