Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speeding up LDAP logins

I recently rebuilt my OD master and OD replica and everything works just fine, the only slight issue is that logins are taking longer than they used to. It takes about 2-3 minutes to get past the "logging in" screen. Is there something I can tweak or optimize to make this faster? It used to be instant. I checked my DNS settings and they appear to be alright but I can post them if needed. checkip -changehostname says both servers are fine and nothing needs to change.

Intel Xserve 2011, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 7:56 AM

Does the client Mac have the correct DNS Server and Search Domain entered in the Network Pref Pane in System Preferences? Also set the service order of you Network Ports to make sure the correct Network Port is at the top.

For the DNS Server field make sure you enter the local ip of your server.

For the Search Domain feild enter your domain and make sure your ISP forwarder IPs are entered in the DNS service Forwarder feilds on the server.

To set servie order on the client network ports, click the "gear" at the bottom and choose "set service order". Drag the port you use to the top.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2011 7:56 AM in response to evets90

Does the client Mac have the correct DNS Server and Search Domain entered in the Network Pref Pane in System Preferences? Also set the service order of you Network Ports to make sure the correct Network Port is at the top.

For the DNS Server field make sure you enter the local ip of your server.

For the Search Domain feild enter your domain and make sure your ISP forwarder IPs are entered in the DNS service Forwarder feilds on the server.

To set servie order on the client network ports, click the "gear" at the bottom and choose "set service order". Drag the port you use to the top.

Oct 7, 2011 11:48 AM in response to evets90

Well, it sorta worked, for a little while, only on one computer. Now it seems to have stopped.

I'm stumped on this one. The fix worked on one of my three machines for about a day or two and didn't work at all on the other two machines. Now it appears that the one machine that was logging in fast is now logging in slow again.

Speeding up LDAP logins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.