Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant see my early 2008 Mac Book Pro on a hp lp2475w

cant see my Mac Book Pro on a hp lp2475w monitor. I feel the monitor detects the Mac Book because my cursor dissappears when I move it into the monitors range. I'm connected via DVI cable. I've tried the "detect monitors" pull down from the tool bar. No luck. Any suggestions.

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 12:44 PM

MacBook Pro may come up the first time with Mirrored Display. That means the resolution chosen is a compromise between what the built-in screen wants and what the second screen or projector wants, and will probably not be optimum for either. Sometimes you do not even get a picture on the second screen.

System Preferences > Displays > ( Arrange ) ...

... and drag the overlapped symbols for the two displays apart, to cancel Mirroring and use "Extended Desktop". The two displays then act as two parts of an Extended Desktop, which should be arranged in space in the same way that they are arranged on your bench. The "Main" display is indicated by the representation of a tiny Menubar, which can be dragged to either display.

N.B.: Once you have stablished Extended Desktop, you may need to reset the resolutions on your displays;

Moving the mouse across their shared edge will cause the mouse to appear on the "other" screen. Dragging a window (such as the presentation program window) to the "other" screen, then resizing it to take up most of the screen is the way to proceed.

If using Lion 10.7, do not turn on "Full Screen". That is an iPhone feature, only useful if your [single] screen is no bigger than an iPhone's tiny screen.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2011 12:44 PM in response to 30framesasecond

MacBook Pro may come up the first time with Mirrored Display. That means the resolution chosen is a compromise between what the built-in screen wants and what the second screen or projector wants, and will probably not be optimum for either. Sometimes you do not even get a picture on the second screen.

System Preferences > Displays > ( Arrange ) ...

... and drag the overlapped symbols for the two displays apart, to cancel Mirroring and use "Extended Desktop". The two displays then act as two parts of an Extended Desktop, which should be arranged in space in the same way that they are arranged on your bench. The "Main" display is indicated by the representation of a tiny Menubar, which can be dragged to either display.

N.B.: Once you have stablished Extended Desktop, you may need to reset the resolutions on your displays;

Moving the mouse across their shared edge will cause the mouse to appear on the "other" screen. Dragging a window (such as the presentation program window) to the "other" screen, then resizing it to take up most of the screen is the way to proceed.

If using Lion 10.7, do not turn on "Full Screen". That is an iPhone feature, only useful if your [single] screen is no bigger than an iPhone's tiny screen.

cant see my early 2008 Mac Book Pro on a hp lp2475w

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.