Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crazy (muddled) root user in Lion?

I have populated my new LION imac quad-core i7 from an imac G5 with TIGER, with firewire cable putting G5 in target disk mode and by migration assistant. The process has gone very good, migrating everithing, with many old software universal binary also running on lion vith no problems. All the user has been migrating, with all their features, mail accounts, preferences ecc., including root user that was enabled on the older system. And here is the problem, the root user act very strange:

-It cannot login alone, but only with some other user, administrator or not, already logged.

-When logged in, root user can't logout. Or better, when it logout, one of the other user active in the system have the effect of logout, with the windows that state 'Are you shure...'

-If all the user logout, the system freeze in the login window

I think that migration has get some root settings from the TIGER, that are not good for LION. Note that the other user work very fine, the only problem is bumbling root.

I tried to disable and re-enable root user, but nothing change. Then i made a permission repair with disk utility. Now root can login alone, but the other issue remains. Root cannot logout, that is root logout another user, and if no user are in, do nothing!

However, the repair utility now say:

ACL trovato, ma non previsto in “private/var/root”
ACL trovato, ma non previsto in “private/var/root/Library”
ACL trovato, ma non previsto in “private/var/root/Library/Preferences”

translation: ACL found, but not expected in...

Someone can help me?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 2:13 AM

1 reply

Oct 4, 2011 3:26 AM in response to MassimoBeltramo

There is some crazy root issues with Lion.

See Chip Old post here

If it's any consolation (probably not), I was able to replicate the problem on all five Lion machines here:

• Fast switched from user account to root account.
  • Tried to log out of root account, but couldn't.
  • Fast switched back to user account.
  • Found the "Are you sure you want to log out" dialog box on the user account's Desktop!
  • Clicked "Yes".
  • User account was logged out, not root.
  • Back in the root account.
  • Tried to log out, but couldn't.
  • Tried to restart, but couldn't.
  • Tried to shut down, but couldn't.
  • Selected "Show login window" from the fast switch menu.
  • Clicked Restart button in the login window.
  • Success!

Bizarre!

When I work as root I do it via su (or more safely, sudo) in a Terminal window. The last time I tried fast switching to root was probably several major OSX versions ago. I don't remember this strange behavior in whatever OSX version I was using back then.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3357522?answerId=16269299022#16269299022

Crazy (muddled) root user in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.