Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading the logic board of early 2006 iMac with a better one?

is it possible to upgrade the logic board of my early 2006 iMac with a better one?

I really like the retro look of my iMac, I am kind of attached to it 🙂 the problem is that I feel my iMac gets slow and slower everyday with the new advances. I heard that it's possible to change the processor (core duo) with a core 2 duo. But as early 2006 iMacs (first intel iMacs) don't support more than 2GB RAM, I try to find a solution to make it support more RAM.

I mean I would like to make a Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM computer

iMac 20, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 1:15 AM

6 replies

Oct 4, 2011 6:11 AM in response to sparrowmind

IMHO investing the cost of a new logic board and new RAM into a 5 year old computer isn't a good idea. If you want to improve performance I'd recommend replacing the computer. One good place to start is Apple's refurbished machines, you don't mention where you're located so I cannot say for sure if they are available in your country. If your country has an Apple online store that is where to look. For example in the US the store is located at:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

BTW this page changes daily.

Oct 5, 2011 12:05 AM in response to a brody

@rkaufmann87 : ahah almost 6 years old now.

Yea thanks I know where to find refurbished macs, but it's not about money nor the design of the new iMacs. It's about to re-evaluate, getting stronger a loved old iMac 🙂

@a brody : thanks for the website, it is a really cool one. I will bookmark it 😉 : I do love Mac mini

@Servant of Cats : I do love Mac Mini, but I find it useless if you don't possess a big tv to connect it at home

upgrading the logic board of early 2006 iMac with a better one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.