Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I insert a clip with 100% accuracy ?

Hi there,

I got this irriating problem.

I got 2 clips connected with the snapping button on.

I placed my skimmed at the centre between the two clips.

I then try to insert a new clip between them.

Sometimes a small fraction of the left hand hand side clip is being cut away and appeared on the right side of the new clip.

How do I ensure that the insert is 100% clean ?

Thanks

15.4, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 27" iMac - 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 1GB ATI Radeon HD, i5 QuadCore

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 9:13 AM

Use the W key.

10 replies

Oct 6, 2011 9:14 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom,

I did use the W key to insert.

But sometimes it cutsthe existing key by one frame.

I think it is because maybe the text and/or audio clip that accompanies the clip being sliced may not be aligned exactly with the clip (ie they may be out by one or two frames

Could it be a bug in the snap feature in a way that it did not snap properly ?

Thanks

Oct 6, 2011 9:24 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

Us the up and down arrow keys to move to the edit point and zoom into the edit point.

Ok, will try that.

I thought perhaps, I can pull the clips apart & see if there is any remnants of the clips that is being cut. But I was not able to do that because of the magnetic feature.

How do I turn off the magnetic features ?

Thanks

Oct 6, 2011 10:28 AM in response to andynick

You're right, I apologize. I seemed to remember it not snapping and thought it might be why the OP was cutting frames off when he inserted.

It turns out I was thinking of the mini-skimmers that exist for tools like blade and trim. THOSE mini-skimmers don't snap to anything. I so rarely turn snapping on anyway that I thought it was for all skimmers.

Andy

Oct 6, 2011 10:36 AM in response to RyanManUtd

It sounds as though you need practice with the skimmer and playhead.

If you navigate with the up and down arrows as Tom suggested, keep the cursor up in the top (preview or event folder) area until you get better practised with it.

Also, try doing precision edits:

When you have two clips next to each other in the storyline, press 'T' to select the trim tool and then double-click the join.

User uploaded file

The right-hand clip will move under the left-hand clip.

You can then drag either one to move it to the exact position you want, or you can do a roll edit by dragging the oval shaped thingy in between the two lines.

Andy

Oct 6, 2011 10:41 AM in response to Andy Neil

Andy Neil wrote:

I was thinking of the mini-skimmers that exist for tools like blade and trim. THOSE mini-skimmers don't snap to anything.

No problem, Andy, I just think poor Ryan's confused enough by it all, already : )

I'd take you to task on the Blade tool though. It doesn't snap to clips etc but it does snap when you've used it on (say) one track of audio and you want to cut the other track at the exact same point - so I wouldn't agree that it doesn't snap to anything.

(But maybe I'm splitting hairs).

Andy

Why can't I insert a clip with 100% accuracy ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.