Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice on how to approach a project

I am trying to make an edit of a dance performance, filmed on 4 consecutive evenings from different angles and each with different closeups etc.

So I have 4 x 40 minute video clips and the audio files that make up the soundtrack at my disposal.

Optimally I would like to have all clips running together, then I can edit the best shots from any particular clip at any given time and move them into the final edit.

I am pretty much a novice with Final Cut, though I somehow managed to do this successfully with a similar project 3 years ago (using Final Cut Pro). At that time I had all clips on top of one another, with the clip on top (edited) being the final edit. This was possible as I was able to switch on and off the video "channels" (ie V1,V2,V3 etc) at will to audition takes from various nights, cut the sections I needed and drag them to the top clip - eventually finetuning and adding transitions etc...

I'm trying to do the same thing in Final Cut X but don't appear to have the capability to "mute" or "solo" the clips in the timeline separately, so can't audition them. I'm only able to see the clip running on top.

Is anybody able to tell me how I might best approach this particular project?

Cheers in advance:)

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 10:28 PM

Watch this video tutorial from Youtube. Hard to put this into words, but you'll get it from the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx7Nwmq9B7Y

3 replies

Oct 4, 2011 11:53 PM in response to Duane Morrison

I strongly recommend you watch some good tutorials on FCP X - there is a feature you can use to audition clips which is second to none.

You can also stack connected clips as high as you want (no limit).

I've tried a number of FCP X Tutorials and in my experience, Ripple Training is clearly the best.

There is a small fee, but it's more than worth it.

Alternatively search the App Store (Categories) for: "tutor for final cut pro x"

It's nowhere near as good (in fact there are a few minor inaccuracies) but it gives you the basics and the cost is tiny. Not sure whether it covers auditioning clips - not got that far with it yet.

Andy

Advice on how to approach a project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.