Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture is a memory eater?

I just bought Aperture 3.1.3 from Mac AppStore. After i installed and ready to import around 20k jpeg photos from iPhoto library, it start to eat up most of my memory. Activity Monitor shows Aperture is using 180-300% of CPU, 4-6GB Ram from my 8GB total, is this NORMAL? My system start to stall and I am unable to do other task.

It keeps running like this for 3 hours already....still processing in Aperture! Anyone have idea? Thank you very much in advance.

Current opened apps: Adium, Safari w/2 tabs, iTunes (Idle).

HW: Macbook Pro 17" 2.2GHz i7/8GB/750@5400

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 17" 2.2GHz Core i7/8GB/750GB HD

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 3:43 AM

6 GB seems a lot -- I don't see use go much above 4 GB on an 8 GB dual-core machine -- but Aperture tries to use all the hardware it can (remember: you are moving and processing enormous amounts of data).

I don't use Lion. Preliminary reports were that Aperture under Lion used even more resources than it did under Snow Leopard.

Have you already imported? It's unclear from your post. If so, then what you are seeing is normal. It can take many hours and even days for Aperture to complete it's initial processing of thousands of newly-created Images. I suggest turning off "Faces" and "Share with iLife" in prefs until Aperture is completely set-up and working well. The first time you turn those on, Aperture reprocesses all of your Images. Do it before you retire for the evening, and Aperture should be done by breakfast (make sure your machine stays on).

Once Aperture has settled down -- fully processed everything, and done its behind-the-scenes optimizing and whatnot -- it will use fewer system resources.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2011 3:43 AM in response to gabriel chan

6 GB seems a lot -- I don't see use go much above 4 GB on an 8 GB dual-core machine -- but Aperture tries to use all the hardware it can (remember: you are moving and processing enormous amounts of data).

I don't use Lion. Preliminary reports were that Aperture under Lion used even more resources than it did under Snow Leopard.

Have you already imported? It's unclear from your post. If so, then what you are seeing is normal. It can take many hours and even days for Aperture to complete it's initial processing of thousands of newly-created Images. I suggest turning off "Faces" and "Share with iLife" in prefs until Aperture is completely set-up and working well. The first time you turn those on, Aperture reprocesses all of your Images. Do it before you retire for the evening, and Aperture should be done by breakfast (make sure your machine stays on).

Once Aperture has settled down -- fully processed everything, and done its behind-the-scenes optimizing and whatnot -- it will use fewer system resources.

Oct 5, 2011 4:17 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks Kirby for your reply. Yes, I do get the import process start, and its still running. During the import process, it used up around 180-300% CPU and 4-6GB of Ram, and now it's updateing the library in progress, it took less CPUs like 50-80%, but still took me 3-4GB Ram. Anyway, you may right, I will just left overnight and see how's going. Thank you and will see!! Cheers!

Oct 5, 2011 6:29 AM in response to gabriel chan

Use of RAM is not a bad thing, it represents efficient processing and RAM is inexpensive. What is undesirable is if you exceed available RAM. After Aperture is done with its initial batch of images processing you should evaluate RAM usage by manually measuring Page Outs over the course of a typical work session.

RAM may or may not be an issue.

You can evaluate whether or not you have adequate RAM by looking at the Page Outs number under System Memory on the Activity Monitor app before starting a typical Aperture work session; recheck after working and if the page outs change (manual calculation of ending page outs number minus starting page outs number) is not zero your workflow is RAM-starved. Ignore the pie charts and other info in Activity Monitor.

If your test showed that page outs increased significantly during operation you can

• add RAM

• and/or simply try to run Aperture by itself

• and/or switch from 64-bit operation to 32-bit operation (which will make some additional RAM space available).

HTH

-Allen Wicks

Oct 5, 2011 11:36 AM in response to gabriel chan

gabriel chan wrote:

Thank you, I will check it out. But this actually lead me to think about moving to SSD. ^.^

SSDs rock, everyone should boot from SSD and have the Aperture Library on an SSD. I do.

However SSD does not obviate the need to have adequate (cheap!) RAM in place first, even though SSDs do ameliorate the effects of inadequate RAM.

FWIW my 2011 MBP with SSD, 10.6.8 and 8 GB RAM has zero page outs.

-Allen

Oct 6, 2011 4:33 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

I have a Mac Pro (dual 2.8 quad core or something) and was struggling with Aperture under 4 GB of RAM. Last week I added 4 more GBs for a total of 8 GB of RAM. I can import quickly, but I still get a spinning beach ball when touching up photos and moving between them. And, my touching up might be just adding +1 or 2 to contrast and fixing temperature. I think it's much faster with 8 GB, though. I might have to wait on the beach ball for 4 or 5 seconds now instead of 25 like before. But I might jump to 12 GB. I have even tried quitting Chrome, but that doesn't seem to help.

Aperture is a memory eater?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.