Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

open directory list not showing at startup, where do i start to look

If my suite of iMacs are not picking up the open directory list at startup and I know they have the correct details, what process should I go through to find the problem. The server all looks ok, but after recent changes made by our local authority the list no longer shows up.

The server is running 10.5

Could DNS be the problem for example. I have limited experience of setting up osx servers.

Regards Peter.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 1:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 4:32 AM

I presume you mean the login window is not listing the Open Directory user accounts? This actually is the normal default behaviour for the login window.

Is your login window showing just two boxes for the user name and password, or is it listing just local user accounts? If it is listing some user accounts is "Other" in that list?

When I used to run 10.5 Server, I used to create a Computer Group, add all my client computers to that group and set a managed preference for that group to force my client computers to show a full list of Open Directory accounts. You do this as follows -

• Launch Workgroup Manager
  • Login to Workgroup Manager
  • If you don't already have a suitable one, create a new Computer group
  • If needed add all your client computers to this Computer group
  • Now with that Computer group still selected, click on the Preferences icon at the top of the Workgroup Manager window
  • Click on the Login choice on the left
  • You should now see at the top a set of radio buttons for Never, Once, or Always - choose Always
  • If you now look in the main part of the window you should see options for things like Style - List of users (which is what you want) and under that tick boxes for Show network users (which is also what you want)
  • When you have set things as desired, click on the Apply Now button in the bottom right
  • You will need to reboot the client computer to test this

Note: If you have a really large number of user accounts it might take a while to draw the list of accounts in the Login screen. I had about 70 and it was fairly fast.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2011 4:32 AM in response to PScrimshaw

I presume you mean the login window is not listing the Open Directory user accounts? This actually is the normal default behaviour for the login window.

Is your login window showing just two boxes for the user name and password, or is it listing just local user accounts? If it is listing some user accounts is "Other" in that list?

When I used to run 10.5 Server, I used to create a Computer Group, add all my client computers to that group and set a managed preference for that group to force my client computers to show a full list of Open Directory accounts. You do this as follows -

• Launch Workgroup Manager
  • Login to Workgroup Manager
  • If you don't already have a suitable one, create a new Computer group
  • If needed add all your client computers to this Computer group
  • Now with that Computer group still selected, click on the Preferences icon at the top of the Workgroup Manager window
  • Click on the Login choice on the left
  • You should now see at the top a set of radio buttons for Never, Once, or Always - choose Always
  • If you now look in the main part of the window you should see options for things like Style - List of users (which is what you want) and under that tick boxes for Show network users (which is also what you want)
  • When you have set things as desired, click on the Apply Now button in the bottom right
  • You will need to reboot the client computer to test this

Note: If you have a really large number of user accounts it might take a while to draw the list of accounts in the Login screen. I had about 70 and it was fairly fast.

open directory list not showing at startup, where do i start to look

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.