Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I share contacts now with iCloud?

How do I share contacts now? Before with mobileme, I sync my addressbook between my iphone and my gf's. Now with mobileme dead, we each need to have our own Apple ID for iCloud. How do I see her contacts? I know calendar has a sharing in iCloud feature but what about addressbook?

iPhone 4

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:20 AM

AddressBook also has a sharing function via MobileMe. Whether that continues to work with iCloud remains to be seen.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=AddressBook/5.0/en/9204.html

Guess we'll find out when iCloud launches next week.

10 replies

Oct 17, 2011 11:44 AM in response to ozean

I read that to share contacts you would have to create a group icoud account and add it to your devices and only have it sync contacts.

Basically everyone you want to share with would have two icloud accounts on their devices, a personal one and a "group" account and only have the items you want to share syncing for the group account and turn all other syncing off.

Pretty cumbersome. Hope they add contact sharing in the future, especially by group would be nice since I know my husband wouldn't want to see all my work contacts.

Oct 19, 2011 3:01 AM in response to Loly19

Have been playing around a bit and found some things that may be relevant:

Each device can have only one main iCloud account (photostream is exclusively related to this account)

You can add other iCloud accounts (for contacts and reminders a.o., in system preferences)

Having added my girlfriends iCloud account on my iPad, Contacts split into:

- All contacts

- My iCloud contacts

- Her iCloud contacts

of course we share some friends;) these occur double in the total list. Now if one of us deletes the contact, and the other shares the contact (e.g. by iMessage) we have a truly shared contact:

- one occurance in All contacts

- any changes one of us makes to the contact are synched in both clouds

new problems for me (any suggestions appreciated)

- do I really need to share all our contacts one by one to get this working, or can we create a group and share all contacts at the same time?

- can I have (a group of) contacts on a device which stays out of the cloud? we have a bunch of addresses we just keep for archive on the laptop and don't want to have in our iphone/ipad lists. Or is there an option of hiding a group?

thanks, Ruben

How do I share contacts now with iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.