Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer sharing issue, Authentication required?

I have a 2008 iMac and a 2010 MacBook Pro (both running OSX 10.6.8) connected by ethernet directly to a DLink gigabit ethernet switch. I have an Epson WorkForce 520 printer connected by USB to the iMac. Both the iMac and MacBook have printer sharing enabled, and I can 'see' and add the printer in +Add Printer in Print & Fax in System Preferences on my MacBook. Printing from the iMac works fine, but whenever I try to print anything from the MacBook over the shared printer connection, the printer is paused and the printing job is listed as 'On Hold: Authentication Required'. What authentication is required? Is there an easy fix to this problem?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 10:48 AM

3 replies

Oct 5, 2011 12:32 PM in response to ddannecker

Several suggestions in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2306107?start=15&tstart=0

One says delete and reinstall the printer on the host computer (where the printer is physically connected) instead of the one where you get the error message. Another suggests deleting and choosing another password. Another gets deeper into CUPS (the print system UNIX uses). Hope this helps.

Feb 21, 2014 2:46 PM in response to ddannecker

I upgraded to OS X 10.9.1 and had "paused for authentication" problems but luckly just discovered that with the print sharing on in the computer that that has the direct connection with the printer being shared on the network and in this configuration with certain persons selected, even an administrator, it puts a "no access" on everyone. In this status I get the "paused for authentication" on the print job from any networked computer. see below

User uploaded file

User uploaded file---------------------************************************-----------------

When you click the up and down arrow to the right of everyone you get either "no access" or "can print" option.

When the "can print" option is selected all the individual persons added gets droped but at least now I can do a network print job from the other computers and not get the "paused for authenication" problem. Hope this helps anyone with "paused for authent" problems 🙂 ET

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Printer sharing issue, Authentication required?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.