Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cookie and Cache problem

Ok this is a little anoying, every day when I check, I find I have cookies and cahe's for websites I visit and ones I don't. Sometimes 100+. When I remove all data, over the next hour or so most of the cookies and cache's return, no matter how many times I remove them.😠

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 1:53 PM

21 replies

Oct 5, 2011 3:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

Tried it but did not work, even after quiting they still start to come back after restarting Safari. What I find interesting though is even when I select BLOCK COOKIES ALWAYS they still seem to reappear.

Just a few:

wordpress.com

wp.com

sharethis.com

scorecardresearch.com

polldaddy.com

netshelter.net

mookie1.com

gravatar.com

edgekey.net

doubleclick.net

crowdscience.com

amazon-cornerstone.com

2mdn.net

akamaihd.net

blueai.com

intensedebate.com

Oct 7, 2011 6:49 AM in response to Mikey'Tok'Ra

Research

EverCookie

HTML cookies

Flash Cookies

WebBugs

Supposedly the only way to run a web browser is in Private Browsing mode all the time,

Firefox

Ghostery

NoScript

BetterPrivacy

Click&Clean

Ad Block Plus

And even further, installing a hosts file addition and blocking tens of thousands of evil tracker crap and still more pop up.

Apple is no help, they are in the advertising business themselves now. Safari on iOS devices has no privacy as it's a closed device. They even went for some time location tracking people and syncing that data back to computers which allowed others to access and see where the user of the iPhone was going.

Microsoft got caught, Google got caught, Apple got caught, they are all bad. They all are watching everything you do online. Google records all your searches, you IP your OS make, your browser and screen size and anything else they get from their trackers all over the net.

Trying to keep your online privacy between you and your ISP (which is recording your traffic as well) and your cell phone company, (who is triangulating your location 8 times a hour and saving the results) is a near impossibility except for the very best hackers.

Only choice is to be offline, keep your private searches on public anonymous public machines like the corner payphone was in the past, still they can place hidden camera and record who used what machine and when.

The only solution I can think of is to run several identical computers on your IP with automatic programs that browse at random, obscure your traffic with random junk.

Oct 7, 2011 7:02 AM in response to ds store

like I said, there is a bug with Safari and the cookie controls. I can visit apple.com ONLY and get several cookies like doubleclick.net and netflix.com cookies just from that, for example. It's a frustrating bug and I am really surprised that it has not been addressed since Safari came out in July. Before updating to 5.1, it worked as expected on "block third party cookies" and I didn't get any unwanted ones...

Oct 7, 2011 8:27 AM in response to Mikey'Tok'Ra

I think there are several variables underlying the bizarre resurrecting cookie behavior on Safari. One of those variables is the feed reader. Another variable is the top sites feature. Another variable is the webpage preview feature.

But I don't think that is why Safari loads cookies regardless of the setting. I think that problem is related to iTunes and/or the AppStore software. The iTunes Store can be disabled in iTunes Preferences through Parental Controls, but as best I can determine, the AppStore can't be disabled.

And it appears the AppStore is the future of software development and availability for Apple computers.

I don't do Facebook. I'm not interested in tweets. I can't surf the Internet and drive at the same time. So I don't need or want a smart phone. I don't need an iPad. And I don't want my home computer to look and act like a smart phone or a tablet. I need power, speed, versatility and compatibility in a desktop computer.

It's not beyond my skill-set to drive to the Apple Store when I need to go to the Apple Store. It is no problem to open my browser and navigate to those sites online. I don't mind enabling cookies when I needed them. So I have absolutely no need for an Apple Store on my computer.

But I'm afraid Apple has succumbed to a "most" mentality, and most people do not want to think that hard. Most people want convenience; they want it now, and they want it as easy as possible.

So it would appear my needs in home computing are not a consideration for those designing future software.

So there really isn't any need to track my every move online (or off).

And I don't think Apple is going to fix Safari because it doesn't appear broken for most people.

Oct 7, 2011 9:21 AM in response to powerbook1701

I get cache for doubleclick from apple.com, certainly not cookies

I don't see how you get anything netflix related from that site - here at least, there's nothing from netflix showing in the Activity window (whereas doubleclick is visible) - so I wonder if something else is going on for you. Do you see anything netflix in the activity window there? Run any extensions or add-ons, or anything third-party ?

like a netflix client, or any kind of video viewer, say, or a dashboard widget, rss feed... anything that might add a netflix cookie, or otherwise access content from them (the skype application adds a skype cookie, for example).

Oct 7, 2011 9:55 AM in response to Mikey'Tok'Ra

Mikey'Tok'Ra wrote:

I am getting a little freaked by it, at first I thought my system had been comprimised with all the random names, cookies and cache's 😟

It was freaking me out, too. I could probably figure out a way to work around it, but why bother? I lost confidence in Safari. I do not believe advanced hacking skills should be necessary in order to customize my computer. All I need is an adaptable web browser, one that is compatible with the extensions I've grown to love.

Safari brought a pleasantly uncluttered experience to Internet browsing when it worked, but it just doesn't work anymore. It needs constant wrangling, and I simply don't have time to do that. So I stopped using it.

they need to addres this issue asap.

That's what I told Apple on one of the feedback forms I submitted. I even said "please." But I don't think it's going to happen.

When I clear out all web info they should stay gone not float back in 20 mins. I know hae 191 items 😟

I think allowing tracking cookies to monitor my web activities contributes to delusional behavior on the part of unscrupulous advertisers. It also slows my browser down and causes it to hang. So long before Safari became unusable, I modified the hosts file to block the worst offenders, and I used Ghostery to keep even more away. Ghostery works.

I also took the Top Sites button off the toolbar and locked the webpage preview file because I don't need it.

But after the 10.6.8 update to Snow Leopard, the only thing that stopped third party advertising cookies was Ghostery. Then at some point after the 5.1 update to Safari, Ghostery stopped working with Safari. By that time, I had moved on to a stable browser.

I might be jaded, but I'm afraid it might take the force of federal regulations to make developers offer privacy options that work.

Oct 7, 2011 6:39 PM in response to Miertreim

I think you might be onto something. I do not have topsites listed in the toolbar, but many of the cookies and such do seem to correlate to what was in topsites. But, I cleared top sites out and still get them.

commonly, I get

cnet.com cookies

doubleclick.net cache

edgekey.net cache

fool.com cookies

go.com cookies

netflix.com cookies

nytimes.com cookies

I can just open to apple.com com and find these at some point in Safari preferences. So, it's got to be tied to the safari prefetch thing, topsites, etc as someone mentioned before. But, I have rss off, not sure why it would still come in. I see it on TWO different MBP's.

Let's not forget that block all does not do anyting..

Cookie and Cache problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.