Skip navigation

Very Serious iCloud + Pages Questions

38473 Views 86 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2012 2:19 PM by MyrkridianRhapsody RSS
1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
Kenneth Collins1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 5, 2011 1:38 PM

I have a lot of anxiety about the way iCloud stores documents. The information from Apple is unclear. All I know is that documents will be stored in the app itself. That's fine if you only have dozen or so documents, but I have about 2,500 Pages documents, arranged in a clear and easy-to-use hierarchy of folders. I used SugarSync to keep the files and folders identical on all devices. So I have these questions:

Will iCloud give me the alternative of storing files in the file system, where they are easy to find?

If I choose not to use iCloud, will Pages continue to save documents in the file system? If it won't, I have to abandon Pages.

Will iCloud automatically import all the Pages documents from the file system into Pages? If so, will it move the files or create duplicates?

If there are duplicates, how will I know which copy of a file I'm opening?

How will I be able to find and delete duplicates? With 2,500 files, it isn't going to be easy or obvious if it's a manual procedure.

Will iCloud recreate the way I have organized my 2,500 files in the file hierarchy?

Will iCloud put my 2,500 files in one place and force me to reorganize them through a grueling manual process dragging them on top of each other one by one?

Will iCloud allow me to have only one level of folders, as in the iPad version of Pages, LaunchPad, and the first Macintosh? There's a reason why Apple abandoned a flat filing system on the Macintosh in the 1980s; that reason is still valid today.

What does iCloud do if a Pages file requires files of a different type, such as JPEG files, or needs to be stored in the same place as files of a different type, such as the Word, Pages, and plain text version of a resume?

If iCloud destroys the way I've organized my files, what happens if two files with different content in different parts of the file hierarchy have the same name?

Obviously I can't use iCloud for documents until I know the answers to these questions, or I risk a huge mess.

iMac 24, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • Peggy Level 8 Level 8 (38,085 points)
    Oct 5, 2011 8:59 PM (in response to Kenneth Collins1)

We will have to wait until iCloud is released next week & the various iWork apps for both the Mac & iOS are updated to answer most questions. I'm sure Apple has KnowledgeBase articles ready to be released.

Peggy_sig.png

• Sjazbec Level 4 Level 4 (1,665 points)
    Oct 6, 2011 7:29 AM (in response to Kenneth Collins1)
    I'd be happy if someone could say authoritatively, "Don't worry, it will be okay."

It will be more then ok. Do not skip updates. There will be settings you will find fitting in your plans.

• Peggy Level 8 Level 8 (38,085 points)
    Oct 6, 2011 11:38 AM (in response to Kenneth Collins1)

We are just users like yourself here & don't have any inside information. Anyone with inside information is under NDA (non-disclosure agreement) & can't say. Like the rest of use, you'll have to wait for more information.

There is nothing that will require you to sign up for iCloud. If what you have now works, stay with it until the answers you seek are available.

Peggy_sig.png

Oct 7, 2011 3:04 AM (in response to Peggy)

It's a reality that as soon as Apple seeds stuff to the Developers, the dmgs are also out on other "channels" all over the net. users that grab stuff from inofficial sources are not under any agreement with Apple, because they never signed up with them .. Go to youtube. How come the videos where average people show how they install iOS5 on their iDevices before it is available .. you know that GM is the final Build, so it is not requiring any sort of activation. And iCloud is fully active as we speak. "It just works".

Oct 12, 2011 10:39 AM (in response to Kenneth Collins1)

you need keynote,numbers,pages version 1.5 - they are now available, just search apps updates via itunes on Mac..

you also need iOs5 on the idevice, you get it via iTunes 10.5 , connect the device and look for software updates-

in the settings of these apps in iOS5, you can then select for each app if it will sync to icloud.

On your Mac you must have Lion 10.7.2 ( comes via Softwareupdate right now ).

You can log into www.icloud.com to download documents that icloud has uploaded from iOS to the cloud.

• dignanmorse Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 12, 2011 6:07 PM (in response to Sjazbec)

None of the iWork applications on the Mac have any integration with iCloud. You have to manually upload/download documents to iCloud using the web interface. From there they are pushed to your iOS devices and kept in sync among them. To work on these files on your Mac you have to again use the web interface at iCloud.com/iWork to download a copy to your Mac. There is no syncing between the iOS and Mac versions of iWork. At least not yet. The whole process between Mac and iOS is clumsy at best.

• tPet Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Oct 12, 2011 8:48 PM (in response to dignanmorse)

Um ... WHAT web interface .. all I see at iCloud.com/iWork is a sell job on getting the iOS versions of the iWork apps.

Oct 12, 2011 9:12 PM (in response to tPet)

Once you have iCloud enabled and one of the iWork apps installed (latest version) you will see the documents you have created for each of the three apps respectively.

Oct 12, 2011 9:19 PM (in response to Kenneth Collins1)

I here ya it's kind of obscure. The fact remains iCloud doesn't work with the Mac versions of the iWork applications. It is only working for iOS iWork applications right now. What happens is this: any document you have in Pages (or Numbers etc.) on your iOS device will be automatically available and synced and available in any other iOS devices you have linked to your iCloud account. There is no manual syncing required on your part. Everything is current to the latest version, instantly. However, right now this is only in iOS. It does not sync with your Mac version of pages. Useful for editing the same file on your iPhone and iPad, but not your Mac. This still requires a manual upload to iCloud from your Mac using iTunes or the iCloud web interface. No sync. :(

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.