Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

True Hands Free Voice Dialing Yet?

Can't anyone recommend a good to great hands free voice dialing app for iphone4 so that I don't get another cell phone $130 ticket and 2 points on my license?

I don't mind pressing an app button to start the process but after that I just want to say something like: "Call John Doe" and have the app find the contact, if more than one phone #, ask me: "Home or Mobile" for example, then I say "Home" and it dials it. All hands free other then starting the app.

Isn't there an app for that yet?

Mac Pro 3.0 GHz Quad-Core, iPad WiFi/3G, iPhone4, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 30" HP Display & 22" Cinema Display

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 10:00 PM

9 replies

Oct 5, 2011 10:18 PM in response to Steven Shmerler

Maybe I'm not understanding your question correctly, but the iPhone already does this. I use it all the time when I'm driving. You just connect the earpiece (with microphone) and then push and hold the button on the cord. When it beeps, you say: "Call Mom" (as an example). Then it will come back and say to me, "Mom. Home or Mobile?"--and I say "Mobile". Then it says, "Calling Mom. Mobile".

This is not an app---it's just part of the phone.

Oct 6, 2011 7:56 PM in response to JenniferRules

Actually Jennifer, I have OnStar!

But sadly my Subaru has the analog version so when the FCC mandated that such services convert to digital, I unfortunately had an OnStar system that couldn't upgrade to digital. Only the analog/digital ones could. So I have all the buttons, but no service anymore 😟

And i LOVED my OnStar and the hands free dialing. Subaru doesn't offer OnStar anymore. I think only GM cars have it, but I could be wrong on that.

On a side note.. my Subaru is a 2004. So when I bought it, after I lost service I realized that both OnStar and Subaru had to know when I bought my car that shortly my OnStar service would be defunct. But no one told me that on the showroom floor. Had they, I would have not bought the Subaru as I really wanted an OnStar car. So I took both Subaru and OnStar to task and claimed they defrauded me by not telling me that my OnStar system had a lifespan of about 2 -3 years when I purchased the car.

I bitched, moaned, wrote letters, threatened, complained, relentlessly. Finally I gotta check for $500. Better than nothing...

I miss my OnStar though.

Now back to our topic: I found a great app today since starting this thread: Melodis Dialer. Pretty cool and FREE! It's not 100% hands free. You have to press the app to launch it and press a button and say: "John Doe Home" or "John Doe Work" and the little bugger dials. Some of these after market dialers ask you a ton of questions before dialing. Not this little guy. So... if you live in a hands free state, you'll have to keep your iPhone in your lap and press a two buttons, but at least you can keep your other hand on the wheel and your eyes 99% on the road...

Map Quest GPS is free too and talks the directions. Found that today too. Again off topic. Sorry.

Check em out...

Oct 7, 2011 5:38 AM in response to JenniferRules

Jennifer, I'm all ears. With all the almost fist fights over the telephone 🙂 I'm surprised neither Subaru or especially OnStar ever mentioned there was an upgrade possibility. I was told just the opposite that there was zero none no way of upgrading an analog OnStar system to work with the current digital towers.

Now maybe since you're talking about a 2010 and I have a 2004, but our arguments were in 2007. So maybe there's been some new processes.

Or perhaps it's a matter of ripping out all the old analog hardware and replacing with new digital, so it's not an upgrade per se but a full rebuild. But if this is possible and maybe they can interface with my existing buttons built into my dashboard. That would be awesome. Plus I would insist they upgrade me as I paid for a working OnStar system with I bought the car new from a Subaru dealer.

Can you give me the contact info, email or weblink to read up on this? I would LOVE you for this. Thanks. Jennifer. Steven

True Hands Free Voice Dialing Yet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.