Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when importing a cd it splits the album into separate individual tracks instead of 1 album with numerouse tracks - how do I get them all together

When I import a CD from the Apple Mac drive it splits the cd into numerous single tracks in itunes instead of 1 album with all the tracks. How can I get it to import to the one place. I did try importing the same cd on a friends apple mac to see if it did the same thing and it imported the cd as 1 album with all tracks in there so I can't understand why it's separating them all.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 2:26 AM

This happens mostly when you import a compilation or a CD that is not noted in the Gracenote Database.

How to change back in one Album:

• Mark all titles of that album (shift or cmd click)
  • Right click and choose "Get info"
  • Fill in the wanted name in "Album" and "Album Artist*"
  • Drag&Drop the wanted Album Art to the little window down right in that pane.

iTunes group and sort albums by that two entry's in the info pane. If the CD is not listed in the database but the titels, iTunes split the album to fit the titles to eventually matching albums of the artists.

Cheers - Lupunus

* If you import a compilation, choose "various artits" for the Album Artist field.

Message was edited by: lupunus

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2011 2:26 AM in response to 1950shady

This happens mostly when you import a compilation or a CD that is not noted in the Gracenote Database.

How to change back in one Album:

• Mark all titles of that album (shift or cmd click)
  • Right click and choose "Get info"
  • Fill in the wanted name in "Album" and "Album Artist*"
  • Drag&Drop the wanted Album Art to the little window down right in that pane.

iTunes group and sort albums by that two entry's in the info pane. If the CD is not listed in the database but the titels, iTunes split the album to fit the titles to eventually matching albums of the artists.

Cheers - Lupunus

* If you import a compilation, choose "various artits" for the Album Artist field.

Message was edited by: lupunus

Oct 6, 2011 3:09 AM in response to 1950shady

1950shady wrote:

I just don't understand why on my apple mac I can import the CD and it imports as 1 album and on my friends it imports as 20 separate tracks.

The reason for that behavior is another one.

If your friend want to see the imported album as "one" (if it's a album from one artist only) he should change the way iTunes sort the Albums for display by clicking the appropriate column header in the iTunes main window.

That will sort the view by Album / Name / Artist / Genre and so on ...

Lupunus

Oct 6, 2011 3:42 AM in response to 1950shady

1950shady wrote:

No, even when I view it in Albums or in Artist there are 20 separate items - each oe a track from the album and it actually comes up as unknown artist even though it is a purchased cd

Using a purchased CD does not mean that the CD is actually listed at Gracenote.

You may check on your friends system if "Automatically retrieve CD track names from Internet" is marked.

If not, iTunes will split the imported CD in "CD per Track" as long as you have not grouped the CD by your own.

User uploaded file

when importing a cd it splits the album into separate individual tracks instead of 1 album with numerouse tracks - how do I get them all together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.