13 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2012 9:22 PM by rkaufmann87
OsirisIsisSeth Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having trouble with my Address Book application in OS X Lion.  I can see my contacts, but the Edit button is gone and I am unable to modify my them in any way.  I have tried most of the fixes I could think of, restoring from a backup, throwing out the preference files, even reinstalling Lion, but nothing has worked.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)
  • rkaufmann87 Level 8 Level 8 (49,015 points)

Try opening Finder, while holding down the Option key click the Go menu and choose Library. Once in the library navigate to Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist and move that file to the desktop. Then restart Address Book and see how it works.

Another method of navigating to that file is in Finder click the Go menu - Click Go to folder... and copy this path:

~/library/preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist  into the box.

• OsirisIsisSeth Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately it did not work.  I am a long time Apple user, and can usually figure out the anwer, but this time I am stumped.

OK, sorry that didn't work. What else have you tried?

BTW you also may want to post in the Lion forum , because Address Book is part of OS X that is where the guys in the know hang out.

Thanks for all your help.  I have tried fixing the permissions, completely restoring Lion, overwriting the contacts from MobileMe, and nothing has worked.  Not sure what to do next.  I am think of throwing out ALL the plist files relating to the Address Book.  Are there any other locations for the Address Book database that I could be missing?

Your welcome and all the preferences files will either be in ~/Library/Prefrences or will be in HD (whatever it's called)/Library/Preferences

Another thing to try is to restart in Safe Mode, this will clear some caches. It's possible one may have become corrupt.

Thanks, I will try that tonight.

Good luck, please post back with the results.

• peterwillem Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I have an almost similar problem and posted it on the Lion forum.

Here is a copy of the text:

In my MBP(Lion) ,used by my wife, the adressbook got stuck on an other desktop. Some time ago she tried to update a page in adressbook but did not succeed. Yesterday I found out about it.When tapping ,via the trackpad, the adressbook-icoon in the dock nothing happens. With 2 finger tapping the adressbook appears from beneath the dock, on the same page as she tried to update. When tapping the adressbook again it disappears again, so you can not make any changes in it. You can only close it via the dock or in the adressbooks bar. When using mission control I see the adresbook (with that same opened page) in an other desktop.

So far I have done the following things:

1) Close adressbook and restart the MBP. And opened it again.

2)  Start up in safe mode and repeated the steps under 1).

3) Put the  com.aplle.Adressbook.plist  file on the desktop  and restarted the Adressbook again.

All these steps did not help any.

Who can help?

peterwillem

Thank you.  Please let me know if someone finds an answer.  I have tried numerous fixes, and nothing has worked.

This post worked for me:

Correct AnswerRe: After upgrading to Lion, I can no longer edit my address book.                                                                        Jul 21, 2011 2:08 PM                                                    (in response to decafin8)                                       

If you just upgraded to Lion, you get 90 days of complimentary support, so don't be bashful.  Call 'em.  I called Apple support and they resolved this specific issue.  We first verified that a newly created Admin account could create and edit Address Book.  When it did, we rightly assumed corruption in the Address Book Library files. 

Here are the steps from that point.

1. Back up your Address Book: From Address Book, choose File > Export and choose Export vCard to a desitnation of your choosing.
    2. Close Address Book.
    3. From the Desktop, Hold Option and click Go in the menu at the top of the screen.
    4. Choose Library.  If this is not an option, you are not pressing the Option key or you are not an Admin.
    5. Expand the Application Support folder and drag the AddressBook folder to the Trash.  Close window.
    6. Open Address Book and import your address book vCard.

Lion has changes that remind me of Windows 2000 where folders are hidden even to Admins.  Apple is purposefully hiding files and folders they don't think anyone should be seeing.  If you want Admin priviledges you had in Leopard or earlier versions, you need to upgrade to a Root user...highly not recommended.

• Durham114 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Osiris,

Thank you.  You saved me a lot of work.  After speaking to Apple Care, their recomendation to solve this issue was a complete reinstall of OSX.  Thanks for reposting...

JD

• boralao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've tried everything mentioned in your post and absolutely nothing solved it! Address Book on OS X Lion *****!

Apple, please do something urgently. It was running perfectly on Snow Leopard. I want my money back.

boralao wrote:

I've tried everything mentioned in your post and absolutely nothing solved it! Address Book on OS X Lion *****!

Apple, please do something urgently. It was running perfectly on Snow Leopard. I want my money back.

You are not addressing Apple on this forum, this is a user to user forum.

Chances are you have goofed up your address book. If necessary contact AppleCare or bring the computer into an Apple Store to have a Genuius look it over. If you don't have an Apple Store convenient to you then contact an AASP.