Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac SE can use an external Monitor??

I want to try to use my 22 year old Mac SE "4-40" (4 mb RAM, 40 mb HD). However the built-in monitor is dead - only a single horizontal line going thru it, rest black.

But can I connect the SE to an external monitor?

Other ideas on how to bring this back to life?

Thanks - with the current events I'd like to do this for sentimental reasons.

Regards,

Steve

6 Oct 2011

MacBook Pro-13, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacOnly since 1989 (Still run my Mac SE on 6.0.4)

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 10:24 AM

One way would be to find a graphics card that would work in the PDS slot. I believe I remember that there were a couple available, but I can't remember who made them. Aura Systems made ScuzzyGraph II, a SCSI peripheral that provided color video, if you could find one of those. You might try asking in a forum such as the Vintage Macs Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vintage-macs

Someone there might have a card or ScyzzyGraph, or be able to provide tips on how to repair the problem.

Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2011 10:24 AM in response to Stephen Schulte2

One way would be to find a graphics card that would work in the PDS slot. I believe I remember that there were a couple available, but I can't remember who made them. Aura Systems made ScuzzyGraph II, a SCSI peripheral that provided color video, if you could find one of those. You might try asking in a forum such as the Vintage Macs Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vintage-macs

Someone there might have a card or ScyzzyGraph, or be able to provide tips on how to repair the problem.

Regards.

Oct 7, 2011 7:51 AM in response to Stephen Schulte2

I think the problem is not the CRT but the motherboard so basically your SE is dead.

There was a company that made a PDS slot video card that will only work with their external monitor which could be flipped from landscape to tabloid and for the life of me I can't think of the name of the company. They made a lot of peripheral bits for those old Macs back in the day.

Oct 7, 2011 8:09 AM in response to Niteshooter

Perhaps you're thinking of the Radius Pivot? If memory serves, SuperMac also make cards and monitors for the SE, but I could be misremembering; it's been a long time.

I think the problem is actually a failed vertical sweep circuit on the analog board. That's not an uncommon problem with those early Macs after a few years. It's usually due to cracks in the soldering of the connector on the board or a failure of the IC chip. The system may stil work with an external monitor, but finding a replacement for the analog board may be easier than finding a PDS card and compatible monitor.

Regards.

Mac SE can use an external Monitor??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.