Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G3 Clamshell Screen Replacement

Hey all...

Let's dive into the depths of the past...all the way back to 1999 and the Tangerine iBook G3 Clamshell.

I recently acquired one of these babies, but, alas, the screen was cracked. So, being the crack uncertified Apple technician I am, I ordered a replacement LCD off eBay, and attempted to install it today. All went well removing the bezel and the old cracked screen, but when I installed the new LCD, it remained steadfastly black and lifeless. I'm 99% sure that my new screen came from a Key Lime or Graphite iBook G3 (one generation newer than the Tangerine), but I was not aware of any compatibility issues between the two...

Here's what I know:

New screen's backlight does turn on and display no image when JUST the power cable is plugged into the new LCD. Attaching the LVDS cable (is that what it was called back then?) turns everything black.

New screen came from a LATER MODEL of iBook G3 Clamshell, but the LVDS and power connectors are the same.

LVDS cable plugs in upside-down on the new screen compared to the old (trying to force to go in the same direction as the old doesn't work either).

Did I get a bad LCD, or were the screens of the Key Lime/Graphite really incompatible with the Blueberry/Tangerine? Anyone got a good guess?

iBook, Mac OS X (10.3.x), Tangerine, 300MHz G3 processor

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 5:15 PM

5 replies

iBook G3 Clamshell Screen Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.