Announcement: Update to iOS 12

Enjoy a faster and more responsive experience as well as fun new features, like Memoji and Camera Effects.
Get iOS 12 > https://support.apple.com/ios/update

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: how many minutes iPhone 4s video per GB memory?

How many minutes of iPhone 4s video can be stored on each GB of flash memory?

I assume that the camera will be able to shoot in a resolution less than its maximum - what's a rule of thumb for "minutes of web acceptable video" per "Gigabyte of memory"?

Thanks.

iPhone 3G, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

I did a 27-second video yesterday using the iPhone 4S "back camera" and when I pulled it off the phone using iPhoto and the USB cable, it was 84.1 MB. Thus, I'm figuring about 3.11 Megabytes per second. So that's about 5.35 minutes per GB.

I also transfered it via Dropbox. My Dropbox on the iPhone 4S defaulted to a video upload quality of "Medium" which changed the resolution of the video from HD to 568x320, and file size was only a couple MB. When I changed the Dropbox upload quality to "Original" the file that got transfered was 84.1 MB, and it was HD, 1920x1080 pixels. Luckily I was on WiFi and not 3G when I did that!

The Dropbox setting of video "High" gave me a small file and 640x360 pixels.

It appears that the phone's back camera always shoots in HD mode and there's no way to change it, that I can find. I haven't tried the front camera.

Your mileage may vary.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Question marked as Solved

Oct 16, 2011 7:32 AM in response to whoami24601 In response to whoami24601

I did a 27-second video yesterday using the iPhone 4S "back camera" and when I pulled it off the phone using iPhoto and the USB cable, it was 84.1 MB. Thus, I'm figuring about 3.11 Megabytes per second. So that's about 5.35 minutes per GB.

I also transfered it via Dropbox. My Dropbox on the iPhone 4S defaulted to a video upload quality of "Medium" which changed the resolution of the video from HD to 568x320, and file size was only a couple MB. When I changed the Dropbox upload quality to "Original" the file that got transfered was 84.1 MB, and it was HD, 1920x1080 pixels. Luckily I was on WiFi and not 3G when I did that!

The Dropbox setting of video "High" gave me a small file and 640x360 pixels.

It appears that the phone's back camera always shoots in HD mode and there's no way to change it, that I can find. I haven't tried the front camera.

Your mileage may vary.

Oct 16, 2011 7:32 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 16, 2011 1:23 PM in response to radio50 In response to radio50

Thanks very much, that's super helpful.

I decided on the 32GB 4S, which is apparently in the FedEx, due to arrive tomorrow. By your measurements, it apparently won't store any great length of HD footage, and getting that footage off will be slooow. I sure hope we figure out a way to shoot in sub-HD mode!

Oct 16, 2011 1:23 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: whoami24601

Question: how many minutes iPhone 4s video per GB memory?