Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how many minutes iPhone 4s video per GB memory?

How many minutes of iPhone 4s video can be stored on each GB of flash memory?

I assume that the camera will be able to shoot in a resolution less than its maximum - what's a rule of thumb for "minutes of web acceptable video" per "Gigabyte of memory"?

Thanks.

iPhone 3G, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 7:32 AM

I did a 27-second video yesterday using the iPhone 4S "back camera" and when I pulled it off the phone using iPhoto and the USB cable, it was 84.1 MB. Thus, I'm figuring about 3.11 Megabytes per second. So that's about 5.35 minutes per GB.

I also transfered it via Dropbox. My Dropbox on the iPhone 4S defaulted to a video upload quality of "Medium" which changed the resolution of the video from HD to 568x320, and file size was only a couple MB. When I changed the Dropbox upload quality to "Original" the file that got transfered was 84.1 MB, and it was HD, 1920x1080 pixels. Luckily I was on WiFi and not 3G when I did that!

The Dropbox setting of video "High" gave me a small file and 640x360 pixels.

It appears that the phone's back camera always shoots in HD mode and there's no way to change it, that I can find. I haven't tried the front camera.

Your mileage may vary.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2011 7:32 AM in response to whoami24601

I did a 27-second video yesterday using the iPhone 4S "back camera" and when I pulled it off the phone using iPhoto and the USB cable, it was 84.1 MB. Thus, I'm figuring about 3.11 Megabytes per second. So that's about 5.35 minutes per GB.

I also transfered it via Dropbox. My Dropbox on the iPhone 4S defaulted to a video upload quality of "Medium" which changed the resolution of the video from HD to 568x320, and file size was only a couple MB. When I changed the Dropbox upload quality to "Original" the file that got transfered was 84.1 MB, and it was HD, 1920x1080 pixels. Luckily I was on WiFi and not 3G when I did that!

The Dropbox setting of video "High" gave me a small file and 640x360 pixels.

It appears that the phone's back camera always shoots in HD mode and there's no way to change it, that I can find. I haven't tried the front camera.

Your mileage may vary.

how many minutes iPhone 4s video per GB memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.