Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

so is the 7th generation iPod Nano in fact a 6th generation iPod Nano with a software upgrade only ?

I went to buy a 7th Generation Nano from a local Apple store and when I gto home to set it up, I found out that it had the old software (i.e. small icons and only two clock faces). I took it back to the Apple store and they informed me that it was the latest model (i.e. 6th gen) and that I had to update the Software to make it a 7th gen model..... this all seems contrary to the following article on the 7th gen tear down....

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 3:20 AM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2011 10:04 AM in response to MacMiner

Same thing with us. We were told that no "new" stock was brought in to the store, just they lowered the price on the current xtg inventory, so buy it now as you don't need the nike kit. Here's apple's own link showing gen 6 as current:

http://support.apple.com/specs/#Nano

Seems like a good way to inject a few more sales as the "new version" at the keynote got our attention. The gen is moot for us as it seems to be working for us so far as it held a charge overnight powered off. We still are testing that it doesn't drain down too fast for our uses running. If it works for what you want, does it really matter what you or someone else wants to call it?

http://www.ipodrepublic.com/ipod-nano/turning-off-new-6th-generation-ipod-nano/2 010/09/21/http://www.ipodrepublic.com/ipod-nano/turning-off-new-6th-generation-i pod-nano/2010/09/21/

If you want, need, and the item works for you - just buy it and enjoy it.

Oct 7, 2011 4:26 PM in response to E27

Guys, THERE IS NO 7TH GEN NANO.

All of the featues noted in the keynote and on the website relate to the 1.2 software update that was released on Tuesday.

In the life of all products, what gets put inside them changes. Think of it as having a choice of different brands of batteries in your car or flashlight. When making a product, companies do the same thing. So while the article you link to may be correct about different chips or memory, they all do the same thing as the old parts did... they are just from different providers most likely. The capabilities of the device are the same despite these changes.

However, they are TOTALLY WRONG in saying that this is a "7th Gen Nano". You do not need to by a new Nano to get all the new features, just connect your good old 6th Gen iPod and install the available update.

i

Oct 8, 2011 1:40 AM in response to MacMiner

I used my iPod nano (6th generation) as a watch with the red LunaTik strap. When I saw the alleged "7th generation" at Apple's recent keynote, I was excited by all the new clock faces and thought it would be a good idea to sell my graphite 6th generation device for a red 7th generation iPod nano to match the strap. When I received the new iPod nano and synced to iTunes I was surprised to see it be detected as a 6th generation device and Sven the firmware was 1.1, the same as my previous nano. I needed to manually update to 1.2 which brought the new clock faces and sensor free fitness features. I thought this was going to be updated out of the box and have improved internals but that doesn't seem to be the case.

so is the 7th generation iPod Nano in fact a 6th generation iPod Nano with a software upgrade only ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.