Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard Boot Disk

I have a commercial copy of Snow Leopard v10.6.3 and want to boot from the disc so I can run the disk utility app on my hard drive.

When I set the machine to restart using the DVD, it shows the initial grey Apple on a white screen and then goes nowhere. I have tried numerous times and even have walked away from my computer for periods of time with no results.

I am successfully able to choose it as the start-up disk. It just goes nowhere after the initial screen.

I hear it rev up at the beginning and then, it just stops.

I already have Snow Leopard on my hard drive. I just wanted to use disk utilities to repair permissions.

Please help!

I have a Mac Pro 2x 2.66 ghz 6-core Intel Xeon computer with 8 gb of RAM and a 1.97 TB hard drive.

How do I get the "start-up" disk to completely start up?

I even bought a fresh copy of the Snow Leopard DVD and it didn't help.

Any ideas?

Anne

Intel Desktop Mac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 8:44 AM

1 reply

Oct 7, 2011 9:27 AM in response to abubnic

First, if your Mac came with SL preinstalled, you can't boot from a retail disc. You have to use the disc that came with the machine. You can order a replacement from Apple customer service.

You don't say what your underlying problem is, but it's unlikely to solved by repairing permissions, which is almost always a waste of time. If you really do need to repair permissions, do it while booted from the system you want to repair, if possible, not from an installation disc.

Snow Leopard Boot Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.