Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing tags from Gracenotes DB may cause Itunes import to fail

In a recent release of Itunes (6.0 or 6.0.1), Apple changed the way Itunes accesses the Gracenotes database. Accessing it is no longer optional. As soon as you put a disc in, that database is accessed automatically and the fields for the inserted CD are updated ("tagged").

Since that release came out I have encountered a problem with at least 30 of the hundreds of CDs I have imported into Itunes on my Power Mac. A message appears either before the first track is imported or immediately after as follows: "Error occurred while converting the file "track name". The required disc cannot be found." The CDs are not faulty, as they can all be copied to the desktop and added to the library. They can all also be imported into the Itunes application on my Windows portable PC.

[Other discussion board members have reported the same message, but their specific fixes have not been relevant.]

Apple Support offered all sorts of suggestions and replaced both the hard disk and the optical drive, but to no avail. Today I discovered a critical clue, if not the answer.

For each of the disks that failed to import, before importing I had changed some of the tags that were downloaded automatically from the Gracenotes database. That apparently caused the problem. I tried using the "Get CD Track Names" from the Advanced menu to reset the CD tags to the Gracenotes values. Itunes then imported the disks with no problems.

Apparently changing the tags can confuse Itunes sometimes so that it cannot find the disc that it is currently displaying in the window! I cannot discover the precise conditions that cause this bug to appear, so I have decided not to retag CDs until after they have been imported - a viable but somewhat awkward workaround.

Has anyone else discovered this bug? Is there a way to retag before importing that does not cause it to appear?

Power Mac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Power Mac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Jan 26, 2006 1:25 PM

3 replies

Feb 4, 2006 4:15 PM in response to jimw

Although no one at Apple seems interested, I have isolated the bug. It appears when the artist field is changed. Moreover, it appears only when long strings are typed in that field (something that you need to do for some classical music like operas with a long list of artists).

Of course, this bug would be a lot less annoying if Apple had not removed the user option of turning off automatic access to the Gracenotes database. If they are going to force the user to access a database, wouldn't it be reasonable to test that access thoroughly to make sure it isn't buggy? In any case, shouldn't the removal of a user feature be documented somewhere, either in the Itunes help or in the online help? Itunes is great software, but I wish Apple would take more care when "improving" it.

Power Mac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Changing tags from Gracenotes DB may cause Itunes import to fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.