Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook G3: OS 9.2.2: Wireless network detected but "The password you entered is not correct for the selected AirPort Network"

I thought I would try going wireless with my Powerbook G3 running OS 9.2.2.

Wireless network detected but "The password you entered is not correct for the selected AirPort Network"

If you look on the left side of the screen you can see it's picking up my "SDFOX 7" but for some reason won't accept my 128-bit WEP key.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

User uploaded file

PowerBook, Mac OS 9.2.x, G3 233MHz, 256MB, 4GB CK819xxxxxx

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 8:57 AM

4 replies

Oct 29, 2011 7:59 PM in response to BGoins12

It is Lucent Technologies WaveLAN Silver. This particular card is good because it supports WEP. I've tested it under OS 8.1 and later and is detected automatically under those OSes. Just remember to make AppleTalk "inactive" and to change TCP/IP from "Ethernet built-in" to "AirPort card (under Apple logo > Control Panel > TCP/IP).

Here is a very informative piece on wireless cards compatible with Classic Mac OS: AirPort | 802.11b | 802.11g | Wireless FAQ For Older Apple ...

If you're running OS 9.0 you will need AirPort 2.0.2 from Apple's website (AirPort 2.0.2 for Mac OS 9). If you're running OS 9.2 you will need AirPort 2.0.4 from Apple's website (AirPort 2.0.4 for Mac OS 9: Information and Download)

AirPort will not run under OS 8.6 or earlier!

Keep in mind this card is "plug-and-play" with OS Classic 8.x and 9.x but if you were going to install under OS X 10.0 or later you need a program like WirelessConfig (AirPort | 802.11b | 802.11g | Wireless FAQ For Older Apple ...) to get it working under OS X 10.0 and later. Not natively supported AND not "plug-and-play" under OS X.

Hope this helps! That machine is a bit old. I would recommend Classilla (Classilla: Building a Secure Web Browser for Mac OS 9 and the ...) for modern browsing on something that old. However I use Safari on my PowerBook G4 and iMac since Safari is still updated for those platforms.

Powerbook G3: OS 9.2.2: Wireless network detected but "The password you entered is not correct for the selected AirPort Network"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.