Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP PLEASE!! unresponsive keyboard and trackpad??

Please i really need some help

ok so

i updated the software on my macbook using software update

after installing i restarted the computer.

and this happened.

- the start-up screen took an long time. (a lot longer than usual)

- the keyboard was completly unresponsive.

- the trackpad worked, i was able to move the cursor around the screen, and wake the computer from sleeping but not able to click or select anything. (making it pointless)

- the only working part to my laptop was the power button.

so basically i could turn my computer on

move the mouse around the screen, but not click or select anything or use the keyboard in anyway.

i tried to fix the computer by

- re-booting by holding down the power button. i tried this over 8 times, waiting a while after each attempt before restarting the device.

- force quitting, that didnt work because the keyboard didn't.

- with and with out power adapter.

- using a remote keyboard and mouse, and a USB keyboard and mouse, did not work.

but all failed!

please any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 9:16 PM

4 replies

Oct 10, 2011 7:31 PM in response to sheridan-elizabeth

I just got the same problem. Track pad and key board lockup after software update on 10/9/2011. Firmware was updated and notes in firmware update referred to keyboard issues. I should not have ran the update as I had no issues but I trusted the updates from Apple. Now I do have an issue and have update remorse.

Macbook OSX version 10.6.8, 1.83 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 1GB, 667MHz, DDR2, 160GB HD

I now notice that the track pad will work after I removed the battery and replaced. But when I open Mail it locks up. Trackpad and keyboard are fine so far on all programs but when I open mail, immediately it locks up.

Never did this until the firmware update yesterday.

UPDATE: I just found this thread and it solves the problem. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3327372

May 15, 2012 12:00 PM in response to sheridan-elizabeth

MBP early 2008 here (purchased late fall 2008 as closeout)

Experienced the typical trackpad/keyboard issue and read through this and other threads. Just before my Applecare ran out last fall I had the Apple Store replace the Flex cable. All seemed to work well until recently when the problem returned.

I thought it was related to heat since it seemed to happen after the unit was in use for a while but now it can happen even a minute or so after waking from sleep or even on start.

I barely used this machine for the first couple years so the battery seems to be good. Here is the System Profiler readout:

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 5003

Fully charged: No

Charging: Yes

Full charge capacity (mAh): 5089

Health Information:

Cycle count: 37

Condition: Good

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 287

Voltage (mV): 12579

Anything here that looks like it might be bad? I can't see anything wrong. I took it out and checked the cable but it also seems to be snug. Or could it be too snug?

Edit: OK, somehow this post was added on to the wrong thread...

Dec 10, 2012 9:09 AM in response to sheridan-elizabeth

I had a problem with my MacBook Pro 13" (2012) when the keyboard and trackpad stopped working for seemingly no apparent reason. When I consulted with Apple Care, they had me reset the PRAM, which did the trick for me. From what I understand, the PRAM is memory that the computer uses to keep basic display and input preferences and info, even when the computer's turned off.

Weeks ago I had installed a 3rd party mouse and keyboard. Even though I wasn't using them when the problem happened, Apple Care said maybe the software accidentally interfered.

To reset the PRAM, I restarted the computer, and when the apple screen came up and the chime happened, I pushed COMMAND+OPTION+P+R (four keys), and waited for it to re-chime a couple times. Then the keyboard & trackpad worked again! See the About NVRAM & PRAM page for details.

Might not be a cure-all, but it helped in my situation.

HELP PLEASE!! unresponsive keyboard and trackpad??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.